Alignment of #1 valve.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by applianceguy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out! Thanks for the props, too, but it was good perception on your part to discover the problem in the first place. Improper valve alignment will do bad things even to a very expensive horn. I have a Bach cornet that shut down in the upper register and it turned out that the valve alignment was way off in the open position. Now, that's harder to tell, because you can't look down the valve tubes and see it. Anyway, the local shop had a tool for measuring the "up" alignment and some thicker valve felts made the horn play like it should.

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Earlier this year I bought a 58 Old's Recording for $300. It sounded great when I played it alone, but was very out of tune when played with a group. Valves wer ver corroded so I ended up doing a complete valve make over and now, this baby plays fantastic. A horn that has been played and put through some miles will have wear and tear, but should last a lifetime. If neglected, that can cause horrible damage and might end up a used parts horn. Glad to hear you got your horn up to par.

3. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    Update!

After reading Dale Proctor's post about "Up" alignment of valves.., I checked mine, and sure 'nuff that alignment was off too.

I hammered the felts thinner, and it sounds amazing once again!!

Valve alignment is critical, and is probably something that is overlooked by those who are unaware of the importance of a clear pathway for air to travel through.

Now I know!!

Hope this Thread helps others, too!!

:grouphug:

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ApplianceGuy, I missed this post the first time around. You play what you can rationally afford. I have nothing but respect for someone who returns after an absence to an instrument that they enjoy. Keep playing and ignore the naysayers. I am in the process of investigating some valve alignment issues on a couple of my horns and I saw this thread. Very informative.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Ed,

Valve alignment in my mind one of the most overlooked and easiest remedies for a horn that does not play well, I have several cases where correct alignment has turned a dog into a fine instrument. Having a horn professionally serviced is no guarentee that it will be correct, I have had horns come back worse than when they went in, new felts fitted with no regard to alignment.

The first thing I now do is check alignment, in most s/h horns I have purchased it is out.

Dr Richard Smith of Smith Watkins has a short paper "Its all in the bore" shows reflections from miss alignment of 0.01", I think it was published in the ITG journal.

Regards, Stuart.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting paper. Thanks for the reference Stuart.

tj

7. colinball

colinball New Friend

Jul 21, 2017
    england
    some say the hole in the middle valve should be halfway down with the valve up, but does this mean the TOP of the hole or the SIDES of the hole? this makes a huge difference; and if there is a line on the valve stem, should that be JUST visible or should it line up with the top of the valve cap when viewed horizontally? Again this makes quite a difference.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Would you care to rephrase your question?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All that matters is that the valve in the the upper and lower position lines up with the instrument tubing. The place where the holes are manufactured is not based on "what some say".

We measure the valve in the trumpet respective to the bore.