Alison Balsom!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Lawler Bb, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just got back from a Milwaukee Symphony performance that featured Alison Balsom playing the Hummel Concerto.

I was completely floored. Period. Alison's sound is to die for, and her musicality and musical gestures were unique yet right on. I think I heard the best Hummel Concerto performance I have ever heard, live or recorded. I don't know what else to say................wow!

Taken from the Milwaukee Symphony website:

http://www.milwaukeesymphony.org/purchasetickets/calendar/artist.asp?id=50039945

Alison Balsom
    Trumpet

Alison Balsom confounds expectations: a female trumpeter, a champion of contemporary music with commissions from leading young composers due in the next few years, and an undogmatic advocate of 'period' instrument performance equally at home on the 'in-authentic' piccolo trumpet.

Alison's dedication to the trumpet repertoire has revealed a huge range of music for trumpet and orchestra beyond the popular Haydn, Hummel and Arutiunian concertos. She performs baroque and classical pieces by Clarke and Marcello, through to Copland's Quiet City, Zimmerman's concerto Nobody Knows the Trouble I See, MacMillans's Epiclesis, Birtwistle's Endless Parade, HK Gruber's Ariel, as well as Gershwin and Bernstein arrangements.

Alison caught the ear of EMI Classics, who released her debut CD in 2002 and have recently renewed their commitment by signing an exclusive three disc contract with her. Her next CD, an all-Bach chamber programme, will be released early in 2006, accompanied by an extensive recital tour.

The trumpet concerto by the brilliant young British composer Joby Talbot, commissioned for Alison by the Munich Chamber Orchestra and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, will be premiered in late 2006.

Alison has recently become a member of BBC Radio 3's New Generation Artists scheme, under whose auspices she will give concerts this season at the Wigmore Hall (with her ensemble), with the BBC Symphony and Sir Andrew Davis, and with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

Recent performances have included the BBC Proms, Barbican's Mostly Mozart Festival, Munich Chamber Orchestra with Christoph Poppen, Stuttgart Radio Symphony with Sir Roger Norrington, and Bamberg Symphony with Mikko Franck. Dates in her diary include the London Chamber Orchestra, Belgian National Orchestra with Mikko Franck, and her US debut with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra.

Alison studied trumpet at the Guildhall School of Music, the Paris Conservatoire, and with H�kan Hardenberger. She was a concerto finalist in the BBC Young Musicians Competition in 1998.

I thought I would do my part to let you all know who she is and what she is about. Again, a thrilling performance!

Eric

2. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I have her album on CD.
    I am not sure what I think of it.
    At the time it came out I bought it out of curiousity.
    My feeling was "technically perfect, not very inspirational" and it went on my CD shelf along with the others.

I am a bit like that, I need to be moved by music.
    Mind you, I have no tatse, I am currently listening to a Fairport Convention CD.

3. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have her CD for trumpet music with organ and I love it! I would love to hear her live!

Kevin

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I would also love to see her live!

;-)

5. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, well, I did see her live and she doesn't dissapoint! :D I guess I did forget the whole blonde and beautiful thing in my first post. Honestly, I was captivated by her playing. Check out her newest CD on Amazon featuring Bach. Seems to be some fine playing.

I am going to her masterclass and recital this week, and I will be sure to report back. That means I will get to meet her Mikey! I did the math and realized that she is a year older than me. I sure have a lot of work to do to catch up!

Google her name and you will also find her resume and management group.

6. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    I heard her in Milwaukee Friday night.

Definitely the cutest trumpet soloist out there..........pretty sound too!

Romey

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Check out her web site. She looks great in leather........

;-)

(She definately uses all her marketing assets to her advantage. And she CAN really play).

8. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I like that she's sort of in a lineage with Hardenberger - especially w/r/t new repertoire from notable composers and a wide range of stylistic assurance.

Yeah, she's hot too.

9. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Romey,

Glad you made it on Friday. I went on Saturday. I have heard from others that the Saturday performance was a little more relaxed and "fun" overall. How was the Shostakovich?

I included a link right away to the MSO website. There's a pic on there. Plus, as Mikey said, her website has a pic, and so does Amazon. Oh, I did see a little statement on her website where you can request a publicity picture. You know that would be at 300dpi!

I agree the Hardenberger lineage is very cool too.

Eric

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am happy this is finally catching on with orchestras too! They are finally hiring HOT eye-candy for us women. God knows, we haven't had much to look at for centuries. That is what is important afterall. I hope Mr. Martin and others will begin performing in leather, or in speedos, or in tank tops and posing for head shots and album covers in ways that show their sexuality. That is what it's all about, right? :roll:

[​IMG]