Alison

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stchasking, Jul 10, 2007.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
  2. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    She's amazing isn't she? One of my favorite players.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Balsom for the soul!

YouTube - Alison Balsom plays Paganini Caprice No.24

Her ability to play a musical line is phenomenal.
    My first impression is not how great the trumpet playing is, but how great the music is. I want some of these arrangements! Maybe THE successor to Dokschizer!

Just bought her Caprice Album on iTunes Plus. I take the comment as successor of Dokschizer back - she is doing her own thing - I don't notice the incredible technique - her musicality keeps me distracted!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    My first imression was: What a sound! cause her sound really is! Somebody was comparing to the young Maurice Andre...and my opinion is that her playing is really much Andre alike...

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What I notice first when I listen to MA is his personal style - regardless if he is playing music from 1650 or 1995. He had no "baroque" or "classical" or "modern" approach to what he played. This was my problem in recommending his readings for deeper study of a piece - I consider them great listening, but far from historically correct.

Ms. Balsom gets more into the head of the composer as far as I am concerned. Her "baroque" is played with a much different style than her Paganini. Her playing is very articulate! This is a lady that I am going to try and get lessons (or a master class) from!

Thank you stchasking for the link - you made my day!