All Around?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ScreaminTrumpet, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm currently shopping around for something new. Planning on making a trip to Tulsa in the next week or two. A friend and I are going to make a good old road trip of it. Before we embark on our adventure, what are some horns that I might want to look into. I do mainly "legit" kind of work, but I want the flexibility to really open it up at the same time. What should I take a look at in the Calicchio line? Advice? Larry help me!!!

2. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

Dave, I think your assessment of the 1s/7 is right on the money. The #7 pipe brings the " feeling of the blow " right to the end of the mouthpiece ( right to your face ) like a Bach 25 pipe would, but then it flairs faster after the venturi giving the player a more open feeling to the blow and alot more volume potential.

The other pipe would be the #3 which is alot like a Bach 25 pipe as far as feel, but with a much longer, more even taper to it.

Example:

Jerry Hey , who liked the feel of a Bach 37 , but wanted a Calicchio type sound and airflow , when he got to LA ( when he was with Seawind ) like the #3 pipe because it gave him a 37 feeling . So when Jerry was recording and wanted a tight , quick response to his notes , like the Micheal Jackson 16th note stuff ... very tight and compressed notes that start and stop quickly he'd like the #3 pipe, but when he'd do a large group or TV or Movie recording when he wanted a more " Chuck Findley " type sound , he'd have a 1s/2 in front of him.

The #3 does give the Bach player a more " Bachish " feeling when going to a Calicchio , But a #7 will give you more volume and power with a " wall " feeling to blow against, which some players really like.

You didn't mention what mouthpiece you'd be using , but if you stick to the Bach 1c , then you might need the added efficiency of the #3 pipe.

The other trumpet to try that wasn't available in Hollywood would be the new " Dave Trigg " model. Again, it's a very efficient, well-balanced trumpet that will give you all the Calicchio traits and then some.

I know they have one at ITG, but I may be sold. Calicchio has backlog of orders so , they probably don't keep a large stock in the showroom. Most that are made are already spoken for so call ahead.

Maybe ever a 3 /2 would be something you'd like. Walt Johnson used to play that model. The #3 pipe would give you efficiency and stability to the core of the sound and the #2 bell would give you more broad tone, but still have some compaction for projecting.

Also, a bell made with the " L " material may also give you what your after, it would definitely give you more efficiency and a quick response if you decide to use a large mouthpiece like th Bach 1C. Your notes would be more instantaneous because of how it takes so little energy to get it to vibrate at a high velocity.

Again, what mouthpiece you choose will affect your decision. A 1C rim and more commercial underpart would probably give you more of that " sizzle " and impact that you may be after. Just a thought. I would suggest a Reeves 43S cup with a 69 or 692 backbore. Can't go wrong with that set-up. Bob can cut and thread a Bach 1c rim to that underpart or make a Bach 1c rim from his files. I know he did one for Byron Stripling . Byron also uses a Bach #1 rim with different underparts.

Again, this is all " cyber-advise " and could be 180 degree's from what you really need, but you asked for it and so it shall be.

PS - John is now producing the SOLO COPPER again, he actually brought one to ITG. I believe it's a custom order item.

Of course, there is always the #2 pipe, you really can't fo wrong with this pipe in getting the quintessential Calicchio sound an feel. If you like more of wall to blow against but like th #2 sound , try a #2s pipe. The venturi will be smaller giving you added resistance at the begging of the pipe, this tends to help attached alot.

Larry

4. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I have a 1S7 with a ML bore, made by John Duda, coming at the end of this week or early next week to try. I am looking for an all around horn -most of my playing is in two community bands, church and a trumpet ensemble. I thought the 1S7 would be the best all around fit for me. I need some resistance to blow agains't. I used to own a Selmer 80J (.463 bore that played larger) and it was too large for me. So, a large bore will not work for me. Once I get the horn I'll post my impressions.

Mike

5. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    For all around playing, the 1s/7 or 1s/2 would probably be best. If you're going to Tulsa..take the opportunity to try as many models as you can! The Tulsa horns are great!