All aspects needed to build range and endurance - Dissertation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Polomint15, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Polomint15

Polomint15 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Ireland
    I'm doing my dissertation on the aspects needed to build and improve Range and Endurance on the trumpet. I'm looking at different methods and teachings as well as planning on making a questionnaire to send to some pro's also.

The books I have atm include:
    ITG journals from October 2012
    The Physical Trumpet Pyramid - Eddie Lewis
    Arban Tutor
    How Brass Players Do It - John Ridgeon
    A few others that I can't think of right now.

Anyone have any more recommended reading materials or suggestions on how to go about this? There is a lot of teachings that I personally wouldn't agree with but would like as much as possible so I could compare everything against each other!

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Polomint,

a very honorable subject.

Considering that ALL methods have dramatically more failures (that no one will admit to) than successes (that everyone will claim as theirs), I really wonder where you will be able to get anything even close to the truth. A more helpful approach would be to ask where the unsuccessful students have failed!

The truth of the matter is that range and endurance are the wrong goals and always have been! We are not training students to be whistling teakettles and a visit to any music fair demonstrates what I mean, practice room tigers that crash anytime that the need to play a real melody, in time, on time!

To get range and endurance, we don't need a technical method, we need to pick up the player where they are. The major factors IN THE WAY of range and endurance are amusicality, impatience, miserable body use including generous amounts of pressure on the chops - and we haven't even gotten into breathing yet. Proper playing is a servo circuit where we blow to get a sound, the room transfers the energy to our ears, the brain analyses what it gets on information and IF (big if) the body, breathing and chop use is relaxed enough, our muscles can fine adjust as needed.

"All aspects" include everything that affects the body, mind and soul: age, hydration, eating habits, curiosity, patience, determination, ability to listen instead of talk, skeleton and muscle form, geometry of the body and face, sense of balance, emotional constitution.

Players with real musical endurance and range NEVER got them from the teacher as such. Those particular individuals were receptive to a particular message at a particular point in time. The same message from another teacher would not provide the same result. Those students have reached a part of their life that accepts small steps, and have a willingness to work on things in a specific order based on their individual weaknesses.

I am 58, been teaching trumpet for almost 40 years, have been studying this theme all my life and feel that I have just scratched the surface. You can imagine how I think that a dissertation will turn out based on a much smaller subset of info than my own....... Not based on personal experience, not to mention the subject itself. I am proud of my students accomplishments which is only a partial reflection of my efforts.

I can think of over 50 embouchure methods that I have used or researched. I would probably need a year or two just to logically sort them out. I could not rate any of them in order of success, rather in difficulty of understanding or implementation. We are not created equal before the mouthpiece.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Polomint,

I have a brilliant idea! Call your dissertation

Crash and Burn
    where most trumpeters fail

I think that you will 1) have more fun and 2) do the entire trumpeting community a great service! In addition, the results will be very easy to prove!

4. Polomint15

Polomint15 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Ireland
    Thanks for this! This should help a lot! PLENTY of reading to be done :)

5. Polomint15

Polomint15 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Ireland
    Not a bad idea actually!! My dissertation has to be 8,000 - 10,000 words so it's going to be tough to refine it to that but hopefully it's something I can expand on in the future as well!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most range methods teach an approach that worked for the author, but won't necessarily work for each player and quite often are all about "hitting" the high notes. If we treat range as part of a total musical package, then working on range includes an entirely different and holistic approach. Well worth studying are Rolf Quinque's ASA-Methode (BIM), Walter Smith's Top Tones (Carl Fischer) and Harold Mitchell's Mitchell on Trumpet (Santorella).

There are a number of dissertations on range, so be sure to check them out, including fluoroscope studies. Librarian's love to find stuff for us, so don't be afraid to act dumb. It will be hard not to duplicate somebody else's research, so be sure to be as exhaustive as possible in your studies, including even the snake oil approaches.

If you want some relatively uncharted territory, make yours a dissertation on all aspects needed to build musical range and endurance.

Have fun!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Whether it is of much use I am not sure but I enjoyed reading Roger Webster's Preparation, Practice, Performance an interesting read.

A link to a review of the book

Book Review - Preparation, Practice, Performance | 4barsrest.com reviews

Like Loathe or not sure I don't know a lot about his methods but you ought to also look at the Work of Jerome Callet with a balanced mind

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
  9. Polomint15

Polomint15 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    Ireland
    Hey,

I actually have Howard Snell's book on practice and performance. Interesting read but tough to get through all at once so it's taking time!

Thanks for all of this though! It's helping a lot!