All aspects needed to build range and endurance - Dissertation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Polomint15, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ....or you can just watch Friedemann Immer soaring through the stratosphere with all the relaxed serenity of a child sucking a cool strawberry milkshake on a sunny afternoon.

I know that Immer has contributed to research questionnaires regarding this subject in the past, and I for one would be fascinated to hear more from him of how he developed the skills to play with such remarkable efficiency and (apparently) effortless ease.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have seen Friedemann Immer several times. One of his secrets is to be careful. No lengthy extended warm ups or heavy playing/rehearsals on concert day. I guess the best description would be: He plays fresh! He was always incredibly prepared. I believe a lot of his success has to do with him understanding the music and message that he is carrying. He plays "with" the music and not against it.

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    As far as books go, get Herbert Clarke's 'Setting Up Drills' and read that. Practice part III (the diatonic scale part) every day exactly as he prescribes and see how your chops are in a couple of months. If there ever was a 'magic bullet' for chops, I've found this is it! Good luck and all the best, Lex

4. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Irons #6, 7, 12, 21
    Then put the horn down

rowuk likes this.
  5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    "Irons #6, 7, 12, 21
    Then put the horn down"

Very good one tfresh... Yeah, I've been doing 22 instead of 21.. excellent suggestion for Irons to work on daily.. thanks! Best, Lex

6. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    22 is a beast!

When I was in college (20 years ago) I was told to buy the Irons book, but wasn't taught how to use it. So for a while I would go into the practice room and play it from cover to cover for an hour, and then go directly to jazz band to play lead...and I wondered why I was always tired! Ha!!! I wasn't until about a year ago that I dug it out and started incorporating a few of the exercises back into my practice routine and it's made all the difference in the world!

7. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Whoa! Yeah, that's alot tfresh.. I'll tell you what. Try doing Clarke's Setting Up Drills part III (the diatonic scale part) every day for a couple of months and 22 will be a breeze...and even 8va:-) (Well, if you're playing an efficient horn and mthpc). It combines so many benefits.. You have to play it soft to do it all in one breath, so you are making the aperture very efficient.. and you are also working the breathing muscles in a very good way because you are holding the last note till you're out of air (Claude Gordon expanded on this idea in his method - and he studied with Clarke - but I prefer Clarke as I don't find benefit from pedals personally)...plus, from a technical standpoint, you are working through all your scales rapidly as well as your single tonguing gets a good workout and you will probably find you crack less and less notes.. Good luck!:-)