All AZ players need to attend this concert!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sdhinote, Feb 17, 2006.

1. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    If you have not checked the article on the home page about the ASU Symphony tribute to Raphael Mendez, do so! A concert that includes Jens Lindemann, Allen Vizzutti and David Hickman may be a once-in-a-lifetime performance! If you are serious about your horn, you need to experience these extraordinary trumpet players. I have seen all three in concert by themselves (Mr. Vizzutti several times all the way back to Woody's band), but never together, and doing Mendez trios to boot!
    I have cancelled my work schedule for the 7th, 8th & 9th of March and will be flying in from California and staying with friends in order to attend.

If you didn't read it, here's the link: http://www.evliving.com/events.php?action=fullnews&id=4652

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I'm with ya!

3. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    We would love a good meal (dinner) reccomendation for before or after event?

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Z’ Tejas is close to Gammage (basically at the corner of Mill and University). If you haven’t been to Z’ Tejas before, you would certainly enjoy it.

Another one worth looking at is PF Chang’s China Bistro. The lettuce wraps are amazing! It’s also close to Mill and University.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    The "boss" says pf changs. Thanks! Anyone else there give the startrek sign...........

6. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    3 Words:

Honey Bears BBQ

I think the closest to ASU is on Van Buren, near the 52nd St. Loop202 exit.

If that's too far of a trip, try Cafe Boa. It's right off of Mill, north of University. I think they have live jazz there every night too.

I'll be at the concerts/clinics. Looking forward to it.

Kevin

7. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Kevin,

I haven't been to Honey Bears in over a year. I was thinking about what I was going to do for dinner, and you just gave me my answer! It's right between work and Gammage, so I don't even have to go out of my way.

Thanks!

8. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    WOW!!!!!! All I can say. My wife and I got there early, 4 rows back front and center, what an evening. The music was amazing, the kids in that orchestra are very professional, I've never heard a tighter classical package. The trumpet players, I don't know what to say........ Mr. vazzutti started the solo work, after which I literaly could not speak, a lady behind me to the left was sobbing, the rest of the night was a roller coaster of emotional music and talent. I can only thank Mr. Hickman for letting us know about this. We drove 350 miles, stayed in a hotel and it was worth all that and more. Thank you.

9. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Yep! I'll have to agree with you. Truly an amazing evening! You know who the trumpet players in the audience were. They were the ones picking their jaws off of the floor!

If you missed it, strip naked and go flog yourself with a cat-o-nine-tails until you bleed!

10. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I think we saw you there, were you early too, standing by the door?