All Harmon all the time.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, May 17, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Besides the dangers that Rowuk points out above, this kind of experiment could also potentially lead you to HATING THE HARMON , tossing it from the case and OUT THE WINDOW (perhaps while driving) and never wanting to see it again.:shhh: :bash:

Turtle

No, it's not going well .....

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Oh I could never hate the Harmon. I mean it's a chick magnet man (well I hope it is, and I hope when I'm good enough to gig my wife doesn't find out ;) But I will can the experiment and just try to play a reasonable amounts.

3. fuzzyhaze

fuzzyhaze Mezzo Piano User

Nov 22, 2009
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK
    I have a question as someone who has to do all my home practise with a Bremner Shhmute (I live in a small apartment with neighbours all around). I have used an Harmon mute loads to do the same thing but now use the Shhmute because it is even quieter!
    Would it be possible to relieve some of the backpressure by using the same size mouthpiece but with a larger throat and/or backbore? I read all the time that players use mouthpieces for the old style trumpets (pea-shooters) with larger throats to compensate for the small bore. Would this help at all?

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    I love the HARMON

not for practicing, and not for to play softer.

but with a microphone and some reverb...

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I have to say this matches what little experience I had with mutes. I find that, with almost any mute, but more so with the more closed ones ("silent practice" types, harmon) the center of pitch of notes does not seem to be as defined and can even be difficult to "find". I very much dislike that feeling. It is not nearly as bad with the bucket mute. In general I don't like using mutes and I almost never use them in practice. Good luck Turtle.

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You can't get bored with a Harmon. but you can get bored without one!

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Here's what I think would help ENORMOUSLY ........ A LARGE BORE TRUMPET. Why, why, why, why and finally ..... why? did I sell that really nice King Liberty large bore? :)bash:)

Turtle

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    How large of a bore do you need?

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yama, yama, haha, yama, lot's 'o drama, large bore, small bore, medium bore, whatta bore, harmon, harmon, don't squeeze the harmon. That's all I have to say.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    fuzzyhaze - when I lived in an apartment I had a good friend suggest that I play into my closet with my bell into a heavy coat [I live in Indiana so a heavy coat is always available]. My neighbors never said a thing and I kept my chops up while keeping my sound. just something to think about.