All Lawler TL Users - Oil??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by kateeba, Jan 18, 2004.

1. kateeba

kateeba New Friend

Dec 19, 2003
    Connecticut
    I have a Lawler TL6-1 with the Getzin valves and am curious what oil all you other TL users are using and having success with.

I've been doing a test with 3 oils so far. Pro Oil Hybrid, Al Cass, and Lawler's oil (sent with horn).

What I did was give the horn a good cleaning by taking it apart, soaking it in Dawn, snaking it out, and allowing it to dry overnight. Then, I put in one type of oil and take note how often I have to reoil in between cleaning the horn again, which has been about once a month.

Beliveve it or not, for me, I find I have to oil the least with Roy's Lawler oil so far. I will try this again over the next few month, but was wondering what others were using and if you all had any comments about it.

These are great valves and in case you didn't know, Roy now offers lighter springs which can be purchased from him. I much prefer them to the more ridgid springs he sent with the horn to begin with.

Lou

2. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Hey Lou,

Thanks for the info. A friend of mine has used Roy's oil since he bought his horn over 10 years ago on the Kanstul valves. I've been using Al Cass out of habit for the past six months since I picked my horn up. I only have to use it 2-3 times a month. When I run out I'm going to change to Roy's oil and see how it goes.

3. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hi kateeba,

I don't have a Lawler, but I can tell you how different oils have worked in my Getzen (since you have Getzen valves).

AL CASS - Too light...broke down and gummed up.

GETZEN - A standard, heavier oil that worked very well.

BLUE JUICE - My favorite of the three. Actually keeps the valves cleaner (like they claim). This is a high quality oil that also works well in my Eclipse.

I hope this helps. All the best.

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know that Roy had his own oil. My Lawler has Kanstul valves and they are a bit picky. Blue Juice is working great, but I do have to reoil every other day or so. I am now using Fat Cat on my Bachs and Benge with great success, but I haven't tried it on the Lawler yet.

Maybe I'll contact Roy soon about his oil.

5. rank_amateur

rank_amateur New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    kateeba,

I've had the best luck so far with Pro Oil Hybrid. Like you, I noticed that the "Lawler" oil that came with my horn did last a long time. However I get much faster valves with the Pro, even though I do have to apply it more frequently.

Just my opinion...

6. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Hey Lou,
    I'm sure most any high quality oil with work but for the record I've been using Blue Juice with my Lawler and love it. I do experiment from time to time with other oils but keep returning to the blue stuff.
    Larry

7. kateeba

kateeba New Friend

Dec 19, 2003
    Connecticut
    I plan to buy some Blue Juice to try too. I heard lots of good things (and bad too, I suppose) about it to perk up my curiousity. I am going to see if my local (10 min away from my house) Sam Ash carries it.

You know, not to change this thread, but it is so sad, how small a variety of Brass and accessories some of these big music chains like Sam Ash carry. Very few brands of horn, mouthpieces, and oil stuff.

Lou

8. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    oil for Lawler

kateeba,

I have found the 'La Tromba T2' valve oil works well on all my horns.

Ted .......... www.sparxmusic.com

9. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    kateeba,

I have also found that large music stores have little to offer in the area of "needed" accessories...at least high quality ones. Maybe if they "surfed" more trumpet forums, they would get a "clue" as to what we like...and use.

Be well.