All modes in all keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by die Bullen, Dec 16, 2012.

1. die Bullen

die Bullen Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    Does anyone know of a set of charts where I can find all modes in all scales as a teaching aid?

I have the 1st, 2nd and 5th in an Aebersold book but I'd like to get all of them

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. die Bullen

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    Thank you- I did Google it- I couldn't find exactly what I am looking for though. What I really want is something that is a sheet music version and has every mode in ever key- I haven't been able to find exactly that.

I could check the Mel Bay thing out at the local music store to see if they have it

Attached Files:

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I use a book called "Scales for Jazz Improvisation" by Dan Haerle

It has all the scales for each mode presented on one page, and the opposing page has the scale explained (what's flat or sharp, what modifications it has compared to a major scale, what kinds of chords you would use this scale for, etc.. You you get a page for each mode, major, minor, diminished, pentatonic, blues.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't forget to "top it off" with whole note scales in all keys. Don't need a download for these, just visualize the black and white keys on the keyboard. If you start white in the first part of the scale (from C to E) stay white until you get to F# than go black until you get back to C#. If you start black from (C# to D#) you go white when you hit F and stay white until you get to C# again.

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Craig Fraedrich's Web Site. Scales for improvisation. It has what you're looking for and is a free dowload. The Dues Etudes books are also free, and fun to play as well. :)

7. die Bullen

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    thank you- I will check that out too!

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I presume you mean modes of all **ordinary** major scales.

9. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I don't think the OP is after mastering their scales in mixolydian...

10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Try putting the books away once you know the formula for each scale and work them around the circle by ear. Internalize and develop your ear to finger speed ratio and try to get away from academics and thinking too much. Next work patterns based off the memorized scales around the circle by ear. Books are good for reference but you have to get past the knowledge point to the application point. Also familiarize yourself with songs that use those scales as well. Horace Silver's Nica's dream for example is a great song to practice the harmonic minor scale but it also has a few minor iib5-V7 -i progressions with in it.