All modes in all keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by die Bullen, Dec 16, 2012.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    This is excellent advice! It will drastically reduce the time it takes to internalize the scale, and it works for about EVERYTHING... When your EAR and your fingers teaches the scale rather than your eyes and a book it is easier to translate that skill into improvising too.

the Haerle book "Scales for Jazz Improvisation" presents several mental ways to figure out the scale formula.. by steps, and also by what major or minor scale it is built from/ So it is easy to learn the "formula", then put the book away and play the scale with your ear.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. die Bullen

die Bullen Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    I leafed through and bought the Haerle book yesterday as it appeared to be what we need. I like the descriptions on how to visualize the scales as well as the scales that are included.

Totally agree on the point of using the book to get the formula down and then do it from feeling. We have two students learning this in very different ways. One is a visual learner who must see the notes and the other is an ear player that feel the notes and hardly looks at the music. The visual presentation will help student number 1 greatly- student number two will simply need to hear it to play it.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

It's what I used. Nice book.

Mike

4. zorrosg

zorrosg Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2011
    Why not try to figure out the modes for yourself. Modes are just displaced scales, so if you know your 12 key signatures, you should be able to do it. Playing a C major scale from D to D gives you dorian, E to E phyrgian and so on.