All Non-COnventional Horn Lubricants Oil Grease???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well so far we have various mixtures of 3in1 with other valve oils with Blue Juice being one the favorites mixer's. We have some that are useing BreakFree CLP. I have heard of Bag Balm,Vasoline,Chapstic,and Lanolin being used for slide grease. Let's hear some of the things that have been tried and failed or tried and worked well when you where in a pinch! I have conisdered trying various additives mixed with Crisco.

So let's get some talk going. Does any one have some off application use's? I just emailed BreakFree's owners to tell them that some are useing their product for trumpet valves. I also asked them if their was anything inthe formula that might not play nicely with the alloys that Trumpets are made from. I recieve any warnings I will let you guys and gals know. I use breakfree when I first get a horn to soak everything down and gently break down the dried residues in the horn an don the valves etc...I have never left it on though or tried it as a lubricant. I was useing it as a cleaner prior to washing it inthe tub.

Any products that you have not tried but you wouldlike to try as a valve oil or slide grease?

2. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    My Jr. High band director told us from day 1 to use Vaseline as slide grease. For slides that don't have to move quickly (tuning slide, etc) it just fine, and it's relatively cheap.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well considering that even few pro-models had 1st valve saddles or triggers vasoline was probably fine it does get stiff when cold out. Go too thick and they do not move fast and go too thin and they do not move too fast. I have been useing 3in1 oil and it seems to work best if I put some slide grease on then add a drop of 3in1 and then work the slide. On trumpets that are well broken in the 3in1 is fine on the slides but on tighter neweerr models it too thin and they do not move as easily as they do with a cheap grease. vasoline on my list of things to try maybe with some Z6 synthetic additive mixed in.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Lard? Bear grease? Sperm whale oil? Ignoring the obvious question of why, if you care to experiment (I have my hands full just trying to sort out the commercial valve oils and slide lubricants), there are a whole bunch of lubricants on the market that would probably work in trumpets. Super-Slick is a good one. Then there are the various colors/viscosities of Rocket Fuel, a fishing reel lubricant from the UK. Crosman PellgunOil is also interesting. Back to fishing reel lubricants, Quantum Hot Sauce and the matching grease - guaranteed to stain everything within several yards a fairly permanent red, but actually quite a good oil if you can tolerate it. Some people use outboard motor greases in fishing reels; care for blue slides? Corrosion-X is a decent penetrating oil to lighten a heavy mixture. I'll bet Boeshield T9 would do pretty well on a slide that had to move freely, and camellia oil might, too. My choice? Plain old Schilke Slide Grease except for the slides that have to move more quickly. If I'm in the garage instead of the house, I'll grab the tub of lanolin left over from engine-building days. Back in my school days, I used Vaseline on slides - but I like Schilke's stuff a lot better. I'm going to be testing the Ultra-Pure 3-piece set more thoroughly, but so far, it looks like a definite winner.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The standard Blue Juice and other traditional valve oils have always worked well for me, so I never had a need to experiment with anything non-conventional. A friend in school would use kerosine instead of valve oil...but he was a bit of a strange bird...

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    After trying almost everything including 30 weight motor oil on slides, which worked quite well, I have gone to Ultra Pure for valves and slides and would not go back. It is superb compared to everything else on a modern pro horn. On vintage rotary trumpets, however, I use Al Cass for valves.

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I hopeing I would hear about some guy in Austraila useing Emu oil he extracted himself or something a bit more exotic. I still think Whale oil would make the best natural lubricant but it would be silly to kill them just for that!

I have already began testing my medium weight semi-synthetic proof of concept oil. I am still waiting for some supplies for my fast thin oila nd my heavy oil for worn out perinet valves and rotor,hub,spindle,slide oil. Nothing too exotic in it the synthetic base stock is used to lebricate fighter jet's engines and the single cut pertrolem oil is simalar to what Swiss watch makers use to lubricate thier time pieces. The reason for the dino oil is due tot he hydroscopic nature of POE synthetics. Since I have not recived my water dispersant packageI needed to ballance the formula out so to speak and this accomplished that. I have some friends that I am going to have try it on some mellophones, french horns, euphoniums and trombones. Eventualy we will test all three formula and I am going tohave them report their findings.

I have considered doing a corrsion test with standard valve oils and mine. If I do I will treat pices of steel from the same stock and leave them ut to the open air for a few days to a few weeks and see how long it takes for them to corrode. then take photo's and psot here. I could spray them with saline mist with digestive enzymes in the mix to simulate moisture from our lungs and mouth passing through the horn.

So would anyone be interested in seeing a test like that??? Anyone interested in seeing howlong one application of various products can last before re-oiling would be needed? These are things that as a group we could all do individualy and then report the results documented with photo's etc.....? It might be fun!

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have used "Dinkum" oil ( see Merc Index of pharmacological products ) to free stuck slides but not as a lubricant, the smell may be a bit overpowering.ROFL

Regards, Stuart.

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    One final suggestion: schmaltz, especially for cornets.

About sperm whale oil: it was very commonly used in a variety of lubricants, especially automatic transmission fluids. MOPAR even used to sell it; racers liked it. But its use here has been banned by the EPA. Several companies have come up with substitutes, primarily synthetic. Try International Lubricants, Incorporated for one.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I really mucked up my horn with military grade silicone grease on the slides. The slides were absolutely AWESOME, but the grease wandered through the horn all the way to the valves. I used a whole bottle of valve oil at the gig that night - you just can't wash silicone grease out. What a royal PAIN!

I only used tried and true proven instrument lubrication products now. Saving a couple of cents is not worth the potential lesson to be learned.................