all the things you are

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by babyfacechulo, May 30, 2014.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I like it. You are on to something really nice. You just need to taste it, feel it, to get a nice touch/swing on it. Nice sound for a lazy summer jazz tune :-)

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    That's what I'm talking about. Give your sound a vocal quality (more supported air), you can get a full sound without being loud. Connect the notes into phrases. Like Rowuk (and Charlie Parker) said, you should have the words in mind so you can tell that story.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I didn't listen to the whole thing, but in what I did listen to, I heard some of the same things Robin was talking about, and I don't think he meant it as a slam. There's a lot to like about the recording you posted, and like others have said, it takes a lot of guts to put it out there for the scrutiny of everyone, and on a trumpet players' forum, no less.

Phrasing is one of those things that often gets overlooked, and not only in , lyrical instrumental music, but in vocal music and public speaking as well. With that said, phrasing is what makes the music what it is - not the notes. I think that might be one of the reasons why when I was young, I stuck to Baroque music for a lot of my performances. Phrasing is kind of "built in" and a person can get by just hammering things out dynamically and technically correct, and it still makes sense from a phrasing perspective. A jazz ballad, is a whole other animal entirely though, and that's where phrasing becomes so important.

Robin is a good guy to listen to - he's pretty adept all around, both as a player and as a teacher, so take it in, think about it, and post another recording in a week or so - I'm looking forward to hearing it.

4. geebee

geebee New Friend

Aug 21, 2013
    SW Missouri
    BFC I thank you. Firstly for putting yourself up there. It takes guts to do that within this forum with all the great musicians. Secondly, because when you get people like Rowuk giving you advice, he's also giving it to the rest of us. This particular comment about singing it is a perfect example. When I was a boy cornet, the old guy that used to give me extra lessons between band practice, would have me sing the tune but then sing it himself with the feelings an older person puts into a song. He used to tell me I was telling a story so make it interesting.
    I'd forgotten all that until it was mentioned here. One of the advantages we have these days is the likes of Youtube, Rhapsody and iTunes where we can listen to different people tell the same story but in their own particular style. Someone once said that you can't play the blues until you have lived them. It's that extra unwritten element that makes a good tune great.
    The biggest compliment you can give to these good people here is to put up another video and show them you have taken their advice and mastered the breathing and articulation. And I for one look forward to hearing it.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd venture to guess that most of us are legends in our own minds. :cool:

6. Shifty

Shifty Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Couldn't agree more. There's a story about how Ben Webster once stopped playing on a song and when a band mate asked him what happened, he said, "I forgot the words."