All things being equal, what gives each trumpet player his/her unique sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Feb 16, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    (Comment not directed to above post.)

Well, listen to Al Hirt's Haydn and Tina's and I would challenge anyone to fall on their sword that the core sound of both being the same.
    Similarly Miles and, say, Harry James.

2. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I've been wondering about this, too, because I have a small mouth and, more importantly, a pectus excavatum. I have been thinking that the causes would be either 1)A relatively poor developed sound compared to other players even if I'm playing perfectly well, 2)my fully developed sound would be really unique, or 3)neither. At least I know people with small mouths can make good sound now!

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking that what you're asking is if, after getting that horn to vibrate and resonate, if that's really your sound. And if you do that again on another instrument, if that's your sound as well. Like many a pro has told me, no matter where you go, there you are. With most every horn you'll play, you'll end up you, and hell, you can still color the sound anyway you want. Ever listen to Jon Hassell? That's a Bach! He makes it sound like an alto flute. I have a friend who makes his new 37 sound like a whisper in a deep cavern, on a Loud/Patrick mpc. Now, he doesn't get that on a Z horn (he tried), but he can on a Committee, a Bach, an Olds. It all just depends.

Enjoy!
    ed

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Well I think the anxiety has passed ... for the most part. I am going for maximum resonance and letting my ears and experience take it to where I hope is a good place.
    The more I practice this the more question I keep having ... for another thread .... later after I digest the few I already have going.
    Anyone have anything for Haste2?

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Its more than just "tone" or "timbre". Its what happens to the note while its being played. Attack, decay etc. Listen to Miles Davis on Sketches of Spain or Porgy and Bess. Each note is different and very personal.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    And when are all things ever equal???:dontknow::lol::-P

Turtle

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Only when they have the equal sign, "=" , between them viz 1=1.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    All things = all things. Kinda zen, huh?

Turtle

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Insufficient space on earth for all things ... not enough room in the house in which we're living to hold all we have, as in addition to two outside sheds as are about full, we've rented two large storage units down the road.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When infinity = infinity