All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My band teacher says she is thinking about making every one of the trumpets next year use the same mouthpiece. She says this will make the trumpets sound more in tune or something. Do mouthpieces have anything to do with that?

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I sincerly doubt that using the same mp will make the trumpets play in tune. Playing in tune depends on the player, not the gear.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what age group are we talking here?

4. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    That is NOT a good idea. Everyone has different lip and oral cavity structure, and mouthpieces are a personal choice based on what they feel is right for them. I also don't think that it would help the section be more in tune, per se- that's more the player than anything- but if some are using shallower mouthpieces and are thus standing out in the section by being too bright and not blending, I can see your teachers reasoning, perhaps, but this is due to cup depth and not rim diameter. A better solution would be to have them all use a mouthpiece that they like in accordance with their lip structure, and get them from a manufacturer that supplies the same cup depth with a different rim, like Curry.

Hope I didn't confuse you!

Addison

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I bet your band teacher doesn't play trumpet ( other than a semester in college for her degree ). Trumpet players are the most misunderstood of all instrument players in my opinion. What mouthpiece do you think she would like for everyone to use ? I think she should run an experiment using 4 mouthpieces and 6 trumpet players as the variables and run through the Taguchi method to find the optimum pairing. Methinks she would be hard pressed to eliminate operator errors for a statistically significant " winner ".

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You mean companies make more than one size mouthpiece,gee I wonder why? I thought we all used the same one.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hm - same mouthpiece -- but also the same horn model? I would say the variations in players will eclipse any "benefit" from matching mouthpieces or horns. She may have a point if currently some players are playing large deep ones and others small shallow ones (producing widely different tone colours).

--bumblebee

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Now all she needs are perfectly identical students. I heard about a band teacher that received a shipment of brand new brass instruments. She tuned them all herself, then had the janitor solder the tuning slides so they would always be in tune. Must have gone to the same college as this gal.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH my - a clarinet or flute player trying to FIX the trumpet section.:dontknow:

10. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    I bet you ANYTHING it's a flute player- other woodwinds have different hardness of reeds and different thicknesses of mouthpieces and what not, so even THEY understand that mouthpiece selection is pretty personal.

Flutes on the other hand just blow.