All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Charles652011

Charles652011 New Friend

Sep 26, 2010
    Indiana, USA
    "She [flute player] also changes the foot for the same reason and I do believe this changes the key of the instrument, only because the normal foot is called a C foot"

Actually, the C foot has two keys which allow the player to reach C. The B flat foot has three keys and allows the player to reach B flat

2. Charles652011

Charles652011 New Friend

Sep 26, 2010
    Indiana, USA

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Gee, that sounds like a trumpet / cornet!

I'm still looking for the busker who played Maleguena (sp??) on a clarinet using a trumpet or cornet mouthpiece. Seemingly, I chased him off. Do I still have a "police" stature and command disciplined voice? Gosh, I hope not!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You missed my point.:shhh:

You can give an entire high school section of clarinets all 2.5 tension reeds and get away with it. They speak easily and allow for a fair amount of endurance for a weaker embouchure. Perhaps it is suboptimal for some, but all can still play reasonably well. If that is the "effect" that the teacher is looking for - for the trumpet section, the results are different - many cannot play on standard hardware because of deficiencies in their playing or mismatches with their face muscle structure.

I was not reducing 2.5 tension reeds to "beginner" status. What you missed is that there CAN be a motivation for a school music teacher to try and even the playing field out. That can lead to an attempt to standardize based on experiences with other instruments like reeds or percussion. The brass discipline does not lend itself to that type of equalization.

It is very easy to jump on the teacher for things that may seem obvious to us. Maybe the logic here is different. We do only have the students side of the story and we know that the student is ALWAYS 100% objective.........

For the record, I have played the saxophone almost as long as the trumpet (30 years), this thread is about school band not professionals. Performance was not the issue, rather evening the playing field. I am not sure what point you were trying to make.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    joe44 -- anyway that you can forward these posts to your Ex-teacher???? who knows they might actually give her some perspective of a trumpet players thought process.

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    or it could cause controversy because most directors don't like admitting there are fields of music they truely don't understand