All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now ( I only recently met her) I know a flute player who changes the headpiece on the flute, thus the mouthpiece, but she said such depends on the song she is about to play.
    I did note that she has 4 different headpieces and the mouthpiece opening was 4 different diameters. She also changes the foot for the same reason and I do believe this changes the key of the instrument, only because the normal foot is called a C foot, She also is wicked on a piano, and plays a piece that trancends styles and genres from the rennnaissance to honky tonk. Once heard a demo in HS from a trumpeter that did a similar trick.

For some burst of my what was in my mind , I thought a piano was specially tuned for it to be able to be played in honky tonk.

Still puzzling on how to work brass into the blue grass genre.

Thanks, I'll stick to playing a colonial fife instead of a flute or piccolo.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Mouthpieces are like shoes. Everyone can't wear a size 7E.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I remember reading that Fritz Reiner once told Bud Herseth that he (Reiner) thought
    the CSO trumpet section should not only play the same model instrument - which they did - but also the same mouthpiece.
    Mr. Herseth informed Dr. Reiner that was not an option.
    What ARE they teaching music ed majors today? Perhaps this director has picked up some info on a trumpet website...
    Rich T.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    This night be a brilliant way of getting everyone's attention in the trumpet section but probably not..
    I had a friend who taught Jr High band ... the band scored very well in competitions..
    His method for getting everyone to play in tune?
    TEACH THEM to play in tune.... what a concept

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Teaching them to play in tune, now thats a very wise idea, bravo. Having a one size fits all mouthpiece shows a very nieve attitude that is doomed to failure. I hope she gets some advice from some real brass players about that before she starts tinkering with students and discourages some of them into quiting. Best wishes.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Same mouthpiece for the section, played on the same brand and model of instrument is just a logical choice for a Piano player directing a Brass section.

Don't be so hard, it will be interesting to see how bad it will sound.

Surely if 2 pianists played the same Brand and Model Piano, and used the same model stool, and the same size foot-wear to play the pedals, then all will be the same? Won't it?

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    only if they face the same direction :)

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Your teacher is an IDIOT!

Do NOT change a mouthpiece for her.

She has no right to do this and this shows that she should NOT be teaching band, or anything else.

What a fool.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Maybe not such an idiot -- by laying down this "threat" she may be hoping everybody comes back having practiced more and will play in tune next year?

Just thinking...

--bumblebee

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was hoping the same thing but .......