All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Is everyone on the track team going to wear the same size shoes?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

AND it better be the 7C!!ROFLROFL

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can't do that!! You would have to tell someone they are WRONG!! That could permanently scar their psyche FOREVER and eventually destroy society as a whole! MAN!! What were you thinking!!:-P

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF that's the logic, the teacher should buy an Olds Pinto and threaten to make the worst tuned player play it! That or a purple Chinese trumpet off e-Bay!

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well they might in my track team of identical octuplets.

--bumblebee

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I knew a director (originally a sax player) in Florida who had a successful/competitive marching program. He "required" that the trumpet section play on the same size mouthpiece (a 14A4A if I recall correctly) because he was looking for a bright sound from his trumpet section. He had a drawer full of them so students could borrow one instead of paying for one just for marching band.

When I questioned him about the value of this requirement, he said that he lets any student who comes to him with a valid reason for playing a different one do so, but otherwise they all use the same one.

In his mind it was at least a starting point or level playing field for those kids (the bulk of them) who either didn't care enough to make their own choice, or who weren't really serious about the trumpet anyway.

While I don't necessarily agree with the requirement, I think letting anyone out of it if they object makes sense.

7. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm married to a professional flutist and she agonizes over headjoints (hers is custom made) as much as I ever did over a trumpet mouthpiece. She would no more tell all her students to use the exact same headjoint in one of her flute choirs than she would require them to all wear the same size shoes. Sounds like the band director in the original post is an "educator" and not a musician who teaches.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    TobyLou8....you beat me to the punch.....I was just thinking that Bach 7c was a great begin.......y'all know the rest ROFL :roll:

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Hogwash. This flippant ass/umption on her part is really touching in it's stupidity.
    I'm searching for a suitable analogy but I'm having a difficult time, mouthpieces are so individual, just like the player's embouchure strength, lip and muscle formation, teeth shape...........Sheeesh!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh yeah! I don't know if you saw the thread last fall where a poster kept correcting me (and anyone else) for not saying the BACH 7C was the greatest mpc ever created! It inspired part of my signature. The guy was a a "cut and paste" poster with all his "knowledge" on trumpet pedagogy. It got intense to the point that he left the forum (collective sigh "aawwwwww"). Gotta love "educators". :lol::lol: