All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You could use an anatomy analogy but... , she may not know what you are talking about!;-) On the other hand, the light may come on!ROFL

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The funny part about this is if she gets her way, she will become even more frustrated because not only will the section fail to play more in tune, they will sound even worse because the tone quality, endurance, and articulation, of anyone whose pre-change mouthpiece was significantly different, will suffer as well.
    That, and I like long sentences.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 roflroflrofl

4. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Headline.... "Music Teacher Lavinia Clapsnatch was the victim of a mass attack by members of the Hoople, N.D. brass band who were incensed at her orders to play uniform mouthpieces. Witnessess claim the attack was sudden, loud and dissonant resulting in Miss Clapsnatch suffering a major heart failure.......

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I say if she has the trumpet section spring for matching mouthpieces, she ought at least have the common courtsey to spring for matching trumpets.......a round of Xeno's for the house!!!!!:play::play::play::play:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is obviously a motivation to do this. With clarinets you can also put everyone on 2.5 tension reeds.

I think that the teacher needs to get informed about what really happens with a mouthpiece, and that better teaching couild make the kids play more elegantly and get the same goal.

Switch out the teachers until the band sounds good.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Double +1!! :D

9. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Is your teacher also one of those people that makes the entire section pull out their tuning slides the exact same amount?:-P

About the in tune part, this is my opinion: instruments don't play out of tune, the player does.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The problem I haven't seen adressed yet is what if this band teacher doesn't take to open discussion and has a my-way-or-the-high-way attitude, then what? A lot of kids could be seriously damaged in their pursuit of trumpet plasying excellence.