All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Time to get a new teacher.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    gbdeamer. Just one question.
    This young man is in not in HS yet and how is my comment if he was my private student and I didn't think he could handle this particular mouthpiece and would take it away from him almost as arbitrary as his teacher?
    Rich T.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You indicated that it "really isn't a mouthpiece for a young player".

I'd say it depends on the young player and the playing situation.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That would be cool! A trumpet section of Schilke 14A4A mouthpieces. In the hands of the kids it would be a just punishment - and teach her a lesson too!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's actually pretty common in younger grades, and especially for concert snare - 2Bs, 5Bs and 3S models are all pretty common for that and it has much less effect on what the player is able to do than a mouthpiece does for a trumpet player because it's not nearly as personalized.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    With a quote like that, we need keep this one :grouphug: Spoken like a true trumpet player:thumbsup: Keep on with it young man and soon you can let your trumpet do ALL your talking.....chuck

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Underwear? How about pants?

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    gbdeamer. Thanks for your reply.
    If the mouthpiece was working for him and he was developing as I thought he should, I would not change it.
    I would be just as taken aback if he had chosen a Monette B1-1. There is no perfect mouthpiece for a young player, but an experienced teacher should see if a mouthpiece is a wrong choice for a youngster and take the needed steps to help the kid.
    Regards,
    Rich T.

9. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    Doesn't anyone wear whitey tighties anymore?

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If they did we would see them ... my wife opinted out that pants are worn too low to affect the diaphram nowdays

I loved the comment about teachign her a lesson. Can you imagine hearing the first few notes played by a section of kids all playing on the same size mouthpiece?

A side thought ... knowing kids.. maybe there is a fad going on in the section with some really cool looking bad playing mouthpiece or who can play the highest number Bach ... not sure how most kids would handle a Bach 17c