All trumpeters using same mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 19, 2011.

1. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    roflrofl

2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

That's why i am moving out of the school district.;-)

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    In High School our band director simply recommended mouthpieces (as he had experience in the trumpet field) but nothing was mandatory. He recognized the benefits of finding the mouthpiece that suited the player. Tuning and blend is all in the ears! Not in the mouthpiece. Just remember the 3 levels of ensemble playing: listen to yourself, listen to your section, and listen to the ensemble as a whole (old DCI trick).

They only time I experienced mandatory hardware rules was DCI due to sponserships. We played on King Marching Brass with Hammond mouthpieces.

4. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

When I bought it i did not know that I just got it because I thought it worked for me better then the other mouthpieces in the store.

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Directors sometimes feel the need to do things out of frustration of not being able to improve the band in any way. The truth is that a director that exclusively does percussion will probably not be able to help you with anything specific to trumpet, so because of this lack of trumpet understanding, he/she will feel the need to try to help the trumpet section in some way. Unfortunately, it is misguided. As for the mouthpiece thing, chances are that there was a point when the entire trumpet section was on the same mouthpiece (7C or Schilke/Yamaha equivalent) and probably half were on the same trumpet-when they were beginners, and they weren't perfectly in tune, so just a little bit of common sense should lead your director out of this state of mind.

As for the 14a4a thing, I think the problem has more to do with sound concept, in that you don't use a jazz mouthpiece for playing orchestral music. It will make it a little more difficult to play low and overly bright up high. It will probably encourage you to force it down low. For example if you are trying to get a fat, slow stream of air through a pinhole against a wall, it will be a lot more difficult than getting it through a PVC pipe. It's not that big of a deal, especially if you don't seem to have a problem with it-just something to consider.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    nice to see you again on TM -- lakerjazz

7. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Maybe uniforms for the players would help? Right!

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While thinking everyone playing the same mouthpiece will play in tune is about the same as saying everyone will march in step by wearing a size 9 shoe, may I ask what are some of the different mouthpieces you guys are using? If this is an intro band and all the trumpet players showed up with some type screach mouthpiece, then I could see the teacher wanting to move everyone to a more standard type. Doubt it is anything like this however.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nothing so far in this thread makes any sense to me. Provide all of them Kelly 7C mpcs and then the music director can look for a new job far away from any band or orchestra.

At least my instrumental music instructor / HS Band Director had us tune all our instruments to tuning forks one hour before the audience was admitted to our concerts, and standing in front of each section he could pick out the player that needed slide or other adjustments. Then it didn't much manner what mpc we used ... and due to strategic metals restrictions during WWII we had to use whatever we had and make do.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Do you know where to get band uniforms? I do! Do you know how much they cost? I do!

In the current budget crunch schools cannot afford them ... nor can a student.

No, with whatever mpc you already have, if you can't play in tune, you can't play ... period. Like I was taught, everyone tunes to a tuning fork that I'll teach. There isn't any worn down batteries in this tuning method.