Allen Vizzutti embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Feb 27, 2010.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Enroll in the University of Washington music program and ask him.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It's called lots of practice, building good habits, eliminating bad ones, practicing daily, and paying attention to detail.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It's also a result of having Allen Vizzutti's mouth structure (oral cavity, lip muscles, lip contour). Plenty of other equally great trumpet players have more externally noticeable embouchure change for different registers.

While it's great to try to emulate players we admire, we always (in my opinion) need to keep in mind that everybody's mouth is unique and not all of us can do exactly what others do, physically, even while we can often match them musically (not that I'm claiming that I can match Allen Vizzutti, please don't misunderstand me).

Try listening without watching and simply try to match what you hear -- perhaps your embouchure needs to shift in more noticeable ways than Vizzutti's. There's nothing wrong with that.

tipo mastr likes this.
  4. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    Quoted for truth.

If you think Al Vizzutti doesn't move a lot when he plays, look at allison Balsom. Her lips barely ever move, but there's hardly any way you could argue that her chops are "Better" than vizzutti's...or maynards...or pretty much anyone else who's gotten their set up to the point where it's working as well as they need it to.

the bottom line is that people who can play get work.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    His embouchure changes dramatically, you just don't see it because you don't know what to look for. It wouldn't help if you saw it though.

If you want to get similar results, read up on his life. The trumpet has been the center of his life almost all of his life - coupled with a high degree of natural musicality and an incredible drive to get better (and be better than everyone else).

Changing your embouchure will not guarantee any similar results. 6 hours of intelligent practice per day for the next couple of years may though.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
  7. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I know there isn't any alternative for practice but i cant do 6 hours a day! im still at school!

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Do you think that it will get any better when you get a job or start Uni? :thumbdown:

9. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    How many hours a day do you practice?

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It depends on my performance schedule. I had days when I had 2 rehearsals (2x3h), 2 education concerts (2x40min) and an evening concert (1h30min-2h), all in the same day. You can calculate it on your own...