Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bruce Lee, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Tootsall brought "The Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method" up in another thread. I thought that Allen, and his book, deserved a little "extra" attention.

First of all, it was my great pleasure to attend The Eastman School of Music with Allen. That skinny kid from Missoula, Montana, sure can play the trumpet! Allen is the only brass player in the history of the school to have earned an Artist Diploma from Eastman. In addition to being a great trumpet player, Allen is a wonderful person. Nearly everything that I've seen written about Allen echoes that statement. If you've never heard him perform, please make the effort to do so. You won't be disappointed!

In addition to being a tremendous performer, Allen is also a very gifted composer, and arranger. His trumpet method book is "The Modern Day Arbans"... full of contemporary ideas, melodies, harmonies, technical and rhythmical etudes, duets, etc., as well as performance tips. "The Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method", published by Alfed, belongs in every trumpet player's music library!

Best always,
    Bruce

2. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Say Bruce,

Is "The Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method" the one diveded into volume 1 (Tech. studies), 2 (Harmonic stufies), & 3 (Melodic studies)? Thanks.

Skip

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    That's the one, Skip. I totally agree with Bruce, every trumpet player should own and PRACTICE from the Vizzutti Method. I've had a couple of lessons with Allen over the years and gained from each. Great player, wonderfull human being. Put down those chops methods and work from Allen Vizzutti's books.

4. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Thanks Dave! I place an order tomorrow with Hickey's.

Skip

5. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    PS:

Do you know anything about Vizzutti's Advanced Etudes or Jazz Tracks with CD? Thanks.

Skip

6. LFRoberts5

LFRoberts5 Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have the Allen Vizzutti Play-a-long CD's. GREAT!!!
    Buy them all!
    Lloyd

7. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Thanks LFR.

8. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Allen's best play-along is...Carnival of Venus!!

Well, I can dream.....and wiggle the valves....

The rest of that CD is simply beautiful!

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Check out the tune he wrote called "Jazz Variations on the Theme of Paginini"
    I played it a few years ago, and it's really a beast to learn (or was when I was in high school) and its alot of fun.
    J

10. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    All of Vizzutti's music is very inventive. You should check out his Oboe Sonata, now that one require finess.

On a more random note, Bruce Long time no talk. How're things with you?

Jon