Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bruce Lee, Nov 13, 2003.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Seventeen years ago I was living in Bellevue, Wa. The Bellevue Community College flyer came to my mailbox. I read inside that I could take Jazz Appreciation and I think private trumpet lessons through the college. The instructor was none other than Allen Vizzutti.

I was living in an apartment with paper thin walls. I could not practice enough to warrent the lessons. How I regret that I cannot say, "I took trumpet lessons from Allen Vizzutti."

Jim

2. monel123

monel123 New Friend

Aug 28, 2006
    Midwest, USA
    I too, use his method everyday.....also he is spending a week at a bandcamp I teach at, this summer....what an opportunity to hang/study with him...
    Jim

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Jon!

Thanks for the nudge! No news is good news! ;-)

Things are going very well! Life has been pretty crazy for quite a while now. My plate has been very full for the past six months. Some of "nutritional value" has been questionable... however, life is always full of learning experiences. Just like playing the trumpet.. finding what works and sticking with it is always the right plan of action. Eventually, you find a new way to balance everything, and it's an incredible feeling when everything comes together. More on that later! :cool:

Back to the topic... Allen Vizzutti! :D

Allen has been blessed with tremendous musical talent, to say the very least! More importantly, he has developed his talent. To say that Allen has worked harder than any other trumpet player might not be the right way to describe how he has become such an accomplished player... but, I know that he has definitely worked "smarter"!

Through his music... both as a performer and a composer/writer/arranger, he continues to share what is commonly known as a "legacy". He is also very fortunate to be able to experience his accomplishments during his lifetime.

Allen's publications and recordings will live on, and he will be known as one of the legendary people who has, and will continue to have, the ability to impact thousands of trumpet players. What he is really sharing is his love for the trumpet, and his love of life. His musically ability has raised the bar for all trumpet players. Allen has a great personality, and he's never been one to baffle anyone with BS... but, he sure can dazzle you with his brilliance!

I like Doc Severinsen's quip: "Hitch your wagon to a STAR!" :D

Tchau,
    Bruce

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Vizzutti's "New Concepts for Trumpet" is also a very, very useful book. Published by deHaske.

5. Trompedo

Trompedo New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Rheinberg, Germany
    Hi everybody,

you said many good things about the methode of Allen, but I want to know what is it? How did it works?

For witch players is this methode a good way to get better?

6. Sabrbc

Sabrbc New Friend

Mar 30, 2007
    Pasadena
    If anyone is in the Pasadena, CA area on May 12, 2007, Allen is doing a concert with The Salvation Army New York Staff Band. Besides the concert, he'll be doing workshops during the day. Concert is only $15 bucks and workshops are only $10. If you want more info, check the calendar on that date, or email my hubby at [email protected]

7. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I own the 3rd Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method and use it everyday. I find that the book can cover alot of different aspects in ones playing. I also love the list of "gifts of studying music". Number 6. - Raised social status! lol... He seems like a cat with a great sense of humor.

8. birks1208

birks1208 New Friend

May 31, 2005
    western washington area,
    i'm a student at UW and take from al weekly... he's a fantastic teacher, player, and human being.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let us put this into perspective: Al Vizzutti has done a great job with his method. It offers benefits for those who seriously and precisely practice them. An occasional playthrough robs any good method of its benefits.
    My second point: this method (actually most every other good one too) is designed for people that consistently practice! It is not a short cut to becoming a virtuoso with a MINIMAL amount of work.
    Jims' very honest post about the paper thin walls and trompedos request for whom this method is suitable gave me the impulse to comment.
    The trumpet is often a mirror - of our soul, our dedication to the cause and the situation of our body. If you take those 3 points seriously, you will probably reap the benefits that Mr. Vizzutti had in mind!