Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    My last day in civilisation for a while so I dropped into the local music shop to pick up some of the stuff I've heard you guys sing the praises of.

Apart from the Kopprasch Studies, everything else I could bring to mind seemed to be out of print.

Ended up treating myself to 3 volumes of Vizzutti's Trumpet Method.

Not looking to replace Arban (heaven forfend!) but the Vizzutti seems to have some pretty solid sections on areas that Arban may be a bit thin on. Maybe some fresh insights into one or two areas too.

Anybody out there have any solid experience with these books they'd care to share?

2. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Yep. Have the print shop take the spine off the Vizzutti books and have them comb or spiral bound to lay flat on your stand. You're in Lagos, Nigeria and won't be seeing civilization for awhile? Must be going to America.
    Cheers,
    Brian

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8sofAN4xc

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta

Hi. I played trumpet for many years without taking it seriously. That is- I played well enough to outplay my students and that was it. No manitainence - no practice to speak of. I had played horn through school and university. When I decided I wanted to expand my skills, speed up my fingers, and increase my range I purchased Vizzutti's method. I wanted something I could drill my fingers and chops on for about an hour or so each evening.
    So - I took each book and within them are sections - starting on section one, exercise one, I wrote 'monday', then exercise , 'Tuesday' etc. when Sunday came around, I moved onto Monday 2, etc. until that section of the book was done. Then I labeled the first ex. of the next seciton 'Monday' again etc. etc.

I did that to all three books.

You can imagine what I did: Monday evening practice time: start at Monday1 and continue through as many Monday exercises as possible before time was up or exhaustion set in. I then marked the last exercise I got to. I would return to that spot next Monday to finish all the Monday material.
    And on and on.

This gave me great variety and worked areas of my skills that I would have avoided before.

I like the series quite a bit. Excellent that most everything is in all twelve keys too!
    Good luck with your progress.