Allen vizzutti

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Jul 17, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Guys read this! as some of you know i am an english student who idolises AV, so you might already know this!

Pops McLaughlin (from) Allen Vizzutti:
    Help! Just got form letter My 10 yr position as U of Wa tpt prof is eliminated No warning G-bye salary & health care for 5. New director loves computer music No traditional interests Disturbing Please consider sending opinion about me my teaching or music ed to
    R Karpen [email protected] Director
    A M Cause [email protected] Dean
    P M Wise [email protected] Interim Pres

Can you guys believe this?:thumbdown:
    (see facebook page for more)

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I saw that on FB. I don't think he will have any trouble getting a new job and the school will suffer big time.

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Gosh. Fools! hmmm. i hope he comes to indiana :)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Signs of the times. Maybe the school would have preferred to have him on the road for Yamaha and Vizzutti less and available for more locally? Have any of his students got playing jobs? How big is his studio and how many lessons do his students get in the course of a school year?

I do not believe that the only reason is "computer music". Yes, he is a playing monster and his YouTubed "master" classes show pedagogical value. The value to the school and education program is something that we cannot judge unless we have real inside information. Just because someone plays world class will not make a university draw world class students.

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    While this might be true, it would not be the first case of FB mis-information.
    If it is true, I feel for Al and see it as a loss to the students who enrolled expecting him to be their mentor. While job security is a wonderful thing, a change is often revitalising. I try to have the odd change of workplace to rebuild my passion and hunger for what I do. It is not uncommon for a University to change staff for marketing purposes.
    Al Vizzutti has a reputation as a great performer and teacher. One of the best in fact. I am sure that there are other institutions out there who are jumping for joy at the chance of picking him up, marketing him and restructuring a program around him. Getting back in at ground level may allow Al to negotiate a program that he is very happy with.
    Unfortunately these changes affect families and friends. I wish him the best.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Only you Rowuk.

There have already been responses to the MANY letters to the university in support of Vizzutti. NONE of the responses mention anything negative about him (as you assumed in your post).

It seems it was purely a financial decision prompted by a reduction in state funding. Apparently Vizzutti wasn't a FT staff member so he was let go. One person from the university indicated that more cuts could be forthcoming.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I made no assumptions, but asked questions, hoping that someone out there close to the university would give us some "real" information.

I knew Al back in music school. There is no doubt that he was/is a world class teacher and performer. Whether that is enough or not would be an issue if in fact he has been released and would fight to stay there. I don't think that the "assumption" that the university would let a magnet like him go lightly is fair to the university.

On the other side, if the environment at the university has become this "hostile" and the budget that "questionable" why would someone like him petition to stay? Why would he need a letter from Pops McLaughlin? What possible pull would he have in the university environment? At music school he was very eloquent. That supposed letter/mail does not bear any semblance of what would normally come out of his mouth - especially if he were fighting for his job!

I am not putting Al Vizzutti down, I am trying to get many of you to THINK. The picture is always much bigger than what we are supposed to see.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I've worked in the university system for a long time.
    Sometimes people get let go because of financial reasons. For all we know, the cost of one Vizzutti might be around the same as two really good (but unknown) trumpet teachers.
    Sometimes people get let go for personnel reasons which can range from an inability to connect with the students to an inability to keep their hands off the students.
    Sometimes a position is "temporary" and will last from 3 to 5 years.
    It's always tough to see a person lose their job. Here's the up part of Vizzutti's situation. He can get a job quicker than most because of his talent to play the horn.
    I don't know the guy but wish him the best of luck.

9. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    When I read that message it immediately struck me as a hoax. That lazy writing style looks like it was written by a prankster, not a college professor.

Of course, I have no inside info. If that's the way AV actually writes maybe they have good reason to let him go.

Waiting for confirmation one way or the other.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

I'm pretty sure it's real