Allen vizzutti

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Here is the canned response I got from U of W. Notice the comment at the end of the 3rd paragraph:

Dear Mr. ________:

Thanks for your note in support of Allen Vizzutti. He certainly is a talented and world renowned performer. We consider ourselves very lucky that he has been associated with our School of Music for so long. However, we have faced drastic decreases in state-funding over the last two years. These cuts have resulted in the elimnation of about 800 positions at the University, and more than 50 teaching positions in the College of Arts and Sciences alone. Thus, we have cut back on part-time instructors/Artists-in-Residence. Despite Mr. Vizzutti's absence, which will be felt, we continue to have strong faculty presence in the area of trumpet.

It is my job to look at staffing needs across a very large and diverse College, with over 20,000 students whose instruments also include the mandolin and microscope, tuba and telescope, and piano, pen and pencil. I doubt that anyone is fully satisfied with the kinds of decisions we are needing to make, but I am doing my best to balance across the needs both within the School of Music (e.g. wind vs brass) and those throughout the College (e.g music vs chemistry) during these difficult times.

The decision to further reduce Mr. Vizzutti's time with our program was not one that anyone came to easily, or without distress. And, I have no doubt that Mr. Vizzutti felt disrespected by the process, for which I am sorry. I'm not sure there is a truly satisfactory way of letting someone know that there position is being cut back even further, despite their good performance, but we have tried to treat Mr. Vizzutti with respect throughout. Indeed, despite this letter-writing campaign, we continue to treat him with the utmost respect.

Unfortunately, as further cutbacks are expected in the future, I am not at all confident it will be the last distressing decision we will make in the College. So, while I certainly don't enjoy getting notes such as this, I do believe it is a good thing that the loss of faculty such as Mr. Vizzutti does not go by without notice or criticism.

I often talk to business leaders, donors, and legislators about the importance of music, and the arts. They play a key role in nurturing the creativity and innovation that fuels our economy. In this sense, I appreciate all the concern I have heard about funding for the arts and I applaud all the support of music and music education that has come my way.

Best,

Ana Mari

Ana Mari Cauce

Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
    University of Washington

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    who is this "strong faculty presence in the area of trumpet?"...since there isn't a trumpet listed on faculty...two trombone teachers, but no trumpet...

3. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    I wonder ----What were the cuts in football program?

4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    This is a huge travesty and sad commentary on the state of affairs of the modern world in which we live, whether it be the business, government, or educational establishments.

To say priorities are out of balance is being very courteous and polite, and a huge understatement.

Allen Vizzutti is probably one of the very best trumpet players in the world.

5. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    i can't imagine a trumpet player going to the university of washington for any reason other than to study with vizzutti...not on purpose at least...

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    A university letting Vizzutti go? That would be like Princeton letting Albert Einstein go because he doesn't fit into their physics [email protected] ! Must be more to this story....

7. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    NO. It was budget cuts, pure and simple. None of us likes it, but that's the fact.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't really understand the letter writing campaign. I can't see how that would get his job back. I would think that it would aggravate the people in charge.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are back to my original question, which has in fact has now been answered. The university weighs how many "extra" "paying" students only come here to study with AV vs what he costs. If the income, or the results are not there and I don't mean the personal results of AVs students, the bean counters then say here is a better place to cut than some other even if the trumpet world who they don't care about anyway, is unhappy.

Champ is right - why would a trumpet player come here at all - except for lessons with AV. That is not enough in my opinion.

For the student to really benefit, there has to be adequate ensemble work, visiting artists and a commitment to the arts infrastructure. Looking at what is offered on the website, I have my doubts that AV students are getting the musical opportunities from the university that they need to match the training that they get. What good are private lessons with a monster if you can't couple that with the practical use of the learned skills. That is what made my time at Eastman - and Als a bit before me, worthwhile. Hands on, high level experience with the university ensembles and greater Rochester community.

Want an idea about how to make a difference? Write Microsoft. Let them sponsor the chair. They are passing money around and this would be of benefit to the state where they reside. Bill Gates' would also be a good door to knock on....................... They would benefit more from being attached to a performer/teacher like AV than these clowns at the school.

I am not sure that the discussion really is considering the big picture. Nobody really wants deficit spending, but every cut is challenged by some interest group. Is the bottom line here any different?

Jens had the real argument in my opinion: regardless of the cuts, the university should be held to the highest standards of respect and decency. News like this is properly delivered in person with follow up in writing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  10. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Too bad !! I'm usually a very pragmatic person who tends to invest no effort in actions that I know will make no difference in an outcome. If there is "black-and-white" data that I can argue with, then I'll do it. But if it's simply a difference of opinion, I tend to keep quiet and respect the opinion of the decision-maker. However, there are times when I feel I should voice my opinion if I feel a poor decision was made. I realize that my opinion that a "poor" decision was made does not make it a fact (nor can anything make it a fact). But why should I (we) sit back and allow those with whom we disagree rest in total comfort with no argument against them whatsoever. That will merely make it easier for those folks to make what I believe to be poor judgments in the future. They need to be made to feel uncomfortable (using only tactful and professional correspondence). At the end of the day, I realize someone had to make a difficult decision in allocating scarce resources. That doesn't mean I should just sit back and say nothing more than, "I wish you would not have cut Allen Vizzutti, but I realize you were in a tough spot and had to make a difficult decision." In other words, I don't speak up every time a decision is made that conflicts with my personal wishes. However, if I were to ALWAYS remain silent just because my comments won't change the outcome, there is no chance whatsoever that I'll get what I want. And believe me, there are plenty of less pragmatic people in the world who tend to be the most vocal about such things and do whatever they can to influence decision-makers just to get their way (often in conflict with "my way"). I don't want to become one of those people, but if I sit by while they gripe, my wishes will never be heard and over time the decision-makers will tend to be swayed toward the beliefs of the gripers.

BTW, I do agree with the suggestions that AV is simply too good for U of W and that he should be affiliated with an institution that can pull some of its own weight to supplement and augment what AV does himself.