allergic reaction to ??? not a trumpet players friend .. venting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 8, 2013.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    So I get my cholesteral reading back ... not horrible just a touch higher than the upper acceptable limit. Even though I am pretty sure genetics plays a part I decide to change my diet a bit. The balsalmic vinegar thing instead of the high fat salad dressings... read something that said a handfull of raw almonds is good for you. Doing the fish thing ... so what do I get?
    An allergic reaction to ??? and now my lips feel oversized as in a Bach 1 feels like a 10 1/2 cup .. a red nose ... absolutely no real playing control on my trumpet now ... feels like I have a layer of dead skin on my lip ... pianisimmo non existent ...
    so of course I have cut all that stuff out but still this is lingering.. not sure if it is leaving or not.
    Thought about putting it in the lounge but it is really is trumpet related ... even though I am not sure I would call myself a trumpet player at this time.
    I'll give it a few more days and then head in to see the doc if I must .. just frustrated ... you know how it feels to lose practice time... I am still attempting to do long tones but seriously... eat better and lose my chops???? that ain't right.
    thank you for allowing my vent

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Can relate,Dave. Maybe the almonds?As long as it doesn't go against any of the meds you're on, maybe some Benedryl might help get you back into somewhat normal. Food allergies are tough to cope with. Myself, I use a red wine vinegrete made with olive oil for salads, at least when I'm at home:roll::oops::cool:

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thx Buc ... not on any meds ... well at least not yet ... I am thinking Benedryl ... I just hate how they can make you sleepy .. it could be worse right?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was also going to suggest Benadryl. In addition a few days of over the counter Zantac adds a little histamine blockage as well. If you do not like the sedation side effects of Benadryl, you could try Zyrtec.

OR lots of coffee with Maalox as creamer... but that was addressed in another thread.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The allergy could be the shellfish or almonds. Garlic and Apple Cider Vinegar (with the sediment intact) could also help lower your cholesterol naturally, but it could also lower your kiss count by your wife. Your choice.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know.. Cathy was giving me this rice and shimp mix she had bought ... okay, something else off my list. I will check out the Zantec or Zyrtec tomorrow ... thx Doc

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's Easter Time - and Easter Time is the time for eggs - guess what I'm reacting to - NO not rabbits.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hate to hear that, Dave. I have various allergy problems, and if you don't normally eat shellfish, the shrimp could be a trigger. Almonds, too, as the doc says. Certain spices can do a number on you, too. I eat apple cider vinegar on beans, greens, and fish. I love the taste of it, but my wife doesn't like the smell...

If you can't figure it out, a trip to an allergist for some simple tests may get you on the right track. BTW, Zyrtec sends you to sleepy town, too.

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Count your blessings. I came down with Bell's Palsy several years ago. I was a singer/trumpet player/front man at the time. Couldn't play a note on the trumpet for over six months. NO control at all on the left side of my embouchure, and I play slightly to the left. It did finally come back. The picture in my avatar is from after it finally started to return. That day was like Christmas for me and the other horn players.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Fat in the diet is pretty much not an issue except as a source of calories when you sit on your butt all day. There is some reason to believe that manufactured fats aren't all that good for you. Canola (aka "rapeseed") oil, for example, has to be highly refined and chemically cracked before it's even edible.

For your salad dressing, you might try a vinaigrette made with olive oil or (my favorite) walnut oil and any variety of vinegars. Add some herbs and garlic and you're set.

It's unfortunate that a shoddy study performed decades ago has caused people to shun decent fats and consume large quantities of manufactured fats all in the name of lowering risk for heart disease.

Tom