allergic reaction to ??? not a trumpet players friend .. venting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Seafood, especially shellfish are notorious for causing allergies. If you've high cholesterol too and are a frequent shellfish eater, don't order such. As for nuts, any processed variety, read the small print on the package and you'll find that such has been processed on same machinery as peanuts ... and for some people this is a deadly circumstance. Overindulgence in just about any food has repercussions. Too, watch for interactive circumstances with prescribed medications. Goodbye grapefruit juice for me.

coolerdave likes this.
  2. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I had an undesired outcome when using Benadryl as a sleep aid. It served to dry out my mucous membranes, including the inside of my lips. My lips would stick to my teeth while I played resulting in swollen lips and a total inability to play, I use melatonin now when I have trouble sleeping.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Good thought, E1. I along with others here suspect either shellfish or nuts, since they seem to be common catalysts for allergic reactions.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sad to say, but sometime genetics wins over diet... and more often than not genetics IS the greatest factor. We cannot change the genes unfortunately; however we can change Jeans, it just depends on how you spell it.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Indeed true, which is why I don't worry too much about "risk factors for heart disease"... no family history.

Tom

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Zyrtec D twice a day has saved me from allergies this season. I dont know about food allergies though.

coolerdave likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :thumbsup:AND THAT IS the great one to have on your side!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    over a decade ago, when I worked in a factory --- they had some stringent health rules (no smoking, acceptable cholesterol level, no high blood pressure, not being overweight) --- undoubtedly you could have all these problems and still work there -- they however slammed you with HEALTH CARE COSTS (Penalties) for NOT being healthy. I was 15% over the limit in cholesterol, and 15 lbs over the weight limit --- and had 3 months for the recheck -- I worked out a little (barely enough) to make the 15 lb loss ----- the amazing thing was that I ate 2 cloves of raw garlic each day ---- the nurse was amazed at the cholesterol level had dropped by 20%, and she wanted to know "WHAT MEDS" I was on for this accomplishment in 3 months ----- GARLIC!!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check my post #5 Nature Boy. I'm 13 posts ahead of you. Loose a few more lbs, and maybe... just maybe you can catch me!

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Zyrtec...seems to helping ...thx Doc ...I wonder if those garlic tabs work the same as the raw garlic.