Allergies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  2. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    I too suffer from really bad allergies. I didn't practice for two days two weeks ago becuase of allergies. I started taking benedryrl (Spell ChecK) and it helped but If I didn't take one every four hours I would get worse especially after waking up in the morning. I started taking zyrtec last thursday took two days later I was feeling great i have never felt this good in the spring. While Zyrtec hepls with my itchy eyes and stuff. My nose passages still swell alittle but I use Nasacort nasal spary for that. Now I'm starting to enjoy spring

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    True, it does work but it is torture, and I know from first hand experience as I have used this myself. It is EXACTLY as you describe. Alternatively, you can jump staight up from the high diving board at your local pool and inhale as you enter the water. That hurts like heck too.

OR there is Atrovent nasal spray. Two small puffs does the same thing. Better living through pharmacology. AND that is why God created pharmacologists!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll disagree with this. Pharmacologists were created to keep those poor, underfinanced companies like Bayer, Merck, Novartis and the like to keep from going bankrupt.

Not quite sure that I am right? Well then, why are ever more strains of this and that resistant to medication? Why a new flu shot every year, why ever new antibiotics??????????

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rowuk... as usual, you have keen insight to concerns I have always had related to pharmaceuticals. But blaming the pharmacologists is missing the greatest offenders most responsible for all the problems you so accurately identified. It is we doctors that prescribe this crap... we are at fault for over prescribing... this has been shown time and time again by epidemiological studies. So on this count; I will take the blame for my profession.

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Bump for the season. I have found that over the counter Zyrtec-D is great if you take one every morning and one every evening through the entire allergy season. Not just when you have symptoms.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you snore excessively it is an indication of sleep apnea ... and could be a silent killer with atrial fibrillation. I was on C-pap prior to triple by-pass heart surgery. Now I have my own defibrillator and am on O2 therapy provided by concentrator at night with 2 liter per hour feed with just a cannula in my nose. Too, I've carry tanks of O2 to use when I feel I need O2, but mostly I don't now. Additionally, I'm prescribed Symbicort inhaler and Spiriva, with back-up if shortness of breath occurs of ProAir HFA inhaler. Too, to reduce the susceptable effects of allergies I flush with a saline spray twice a day. Especially, when they are ginning cotton here in Jackson NC, I wear a filter mask, just as I do when my lawn is being mowed.

I haven't checked into it, but FDA has approved an alternative to C-pap. Too, I regularly am seen by a pulmonologist. Too, I now avoid all home domestic cleaning aerosols and though I shave with a blade, I use cup soap and brush to apply the shaving lather.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I enjoy and respect Rowuk's responses. And I suppose that Big Pharma is an easy target. But his last reply is a good example of how anecdotal arguments with a touch of political correctness are not always correct.

For example, blaming Big Pharma for antigenic drift and horizontal gene transfer is a stretch.

Mike

9. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I use (daily) a generic form of Zyrtec, which is over-the-counter, along with a product called Simply Saline. It is a pressurized nasal/sinus rinse that has a nozzle designed to go up your schnozz. It helps to rinse out allergens and also serves to moisturize. I use it in the shower, personally, but you could do it over the bathroom sink as well. It's probably not as thorough a cleaning as the Neti Pot provides, but it works for me.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or it could be allergies, and if Zyrtec-D did the trick for Sound7, that allergy is more likely. But yes, sleep apnea is very serious, leading mostly to cor-pulmonale, after which a-fib may follow. Unfortunately, the only way to diagnosis this is through a sleep study, as symptoms can be all over the map.