Almost in tears

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Paul Du Bourg, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

Well, managed to drop my 8310 onto the bell end this weekend.
    The drop was only about 10" but the impact was not square to the bell which caused an almost spiral type dent / kink that propagated around about 3/4's of the circumference.

Repair job cost R250 / 7.2 = US$ 35.

Lessons learned.

1.) Any repair no matter how small to be carried out by someone who knows what they're doing.
    2.) Never carry your trumpet with 2 fingers wrapped around the tube in vertical position while carrying cooler box, cycling shoes and muffin tin.
    3.) When in transit, always in case.
    4.) No problem is ever as bad as it seems at first glance.

pppphhhheeeeewww.

Cheers

Paul.

2. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Ouch! I have a 8310z and have managed to get afew small dents in the bell. Nothing major yet though (touch wood). The bell is so thin it dents without me even realising! Glad you got is sorted :-)

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

I'm glad there's a happy ending to that story. That seems cheap. Are dent repairs usually that reasonable? By the way what is 'R' in R250.

4. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Craig,

The R = Rands, for interest sake the same exchange rate as the RMB in China.

Wonder for how long though.

Cheers

Paul

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I had a freind from high school who, after graduation, worked and scrimped for two years (this is back in the '70s) to get a new Benge. He got the Benge, loved it, took it to the first gig, put his stuff into the trunk of his car after the gig......then backed over the horn which he had neglected to actually put in the trunk (he got distracted putting his other stuff into the trunk and forgot he had set the horn down).
    The bell was crushed...we took it to a repair guy and I was amazed how he reshaped it, but the bell seam was broken so the horn just didn't sound as good as it originally did. Don't know if he ever got the bell replaced...

He was a very sad young man for a long time...

bigtiny