alternate fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Warren Blacksand, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Warren Blacksand

Warren Blacksand New Friend

Mar 6, 2005
    b.c.
    Hi- after not playing since 1971, I picked up (rented) a student trumpet to see what would happen. Low and behold after two days of noise I started to obtain some actual clear notes..Yippee(crosschecked by blowing through a shure 57 into a tuner)
    Issue - all my fingering for these notes, low A to second C are exactly one pitch above the actual note - so middle c is 1-3 rather than open etc.
    I played for 2 1/2 yrs in school and I know I used the standard fingerings!
    what's happening?? any ideas - should I continue along this path for now? :-? do you think as I get stronger things will work themselves out.
    I do try every session to hit the notes using standard fingerings in the beginning.
    I will try to get to a teacher for some guidance but it's at least 3 hours round trip to the closest one.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Aha! That's because the Bb trumpet is a "transposing" instrument. Your "C" is actually a concert Bb (or a Bb on the piano). When you play what you think should be a 2nd line "G", you're getting an "F" on the tuner, right? Don't worry about it. Your fingering is fine. Get used to "thinking" two semi-tones off.

Edit: Warren, you are in the interior aren't you? Where?

3. Warren Blacksand

Warren Blacksand New Friend

Mar 6, 2005
    b.c.
    Thanx Tootsall - your 100% right on the staff/semitones.
    I'll press on and get some help when I can..

Edit: I'm actually out on the sunshine coast, so any trip requires B.C. ferries. It was Gabriel Mark Hasselbcah last summer at the Pender Harbour Jazz Fest that really sparked me to pick up the horn again.
    Check out the -wind tunnel page/vidieo

Have had a few coolies in the Palliser Hotel in the past and worked for CP
    hotels in BC - play on.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sunshine Coast... beautiful place to be. I've travelled through there a couple of times and had friends living in Gibsons while he picked up some college courses. I've seen the website for the Pender Harbour Jazz fest. Looks incredible.