Alternate Fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have been working through "The Art of Phrasing" melodies in Arban's in recent months on my Bb trumpets. On A's in the staff of brief duration, that are played via slurring, I play those notes more cleanly using the 3rd valve instead of valves 1 & 2. Is there any real downside to this technique that I should be aware of?

Jim

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I don't see any downside to practising 3rd finger dexterity, Jim. Also with 1+2 being on the sharp side with most instruments, it should be easier to centre the note. I went through a phase of preferring 3 for top of stave E in a few keys.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If 1 and 2 are not clean, practice more. Better to work on the problem, than to avoid it.

4. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Comeback, I found in Jerry Grey's arrangement of "The Saint Louis Blues March" where the trumpets start off with an A above the staff that it was easier to slot that note with the third valve.Most other times I'm using the first and second. I guess it's up to the player as to what note sounds good in certain situations. Just my opinion.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Nothing wrong with using alternate fingerings.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you for the responses, fellow TM'rs. Those Arban's phrasing melodies really help me focus on cleanliness of execution. The slurs involving A in the staff quickly reveal how perfectly coordinated conventional A fingerings truly are for me. Predictably an alternate fingering involving one valve instead of the conventional two is less likely to be a little sloppy.

Jim

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I agree, I use them a lot, but he said he has a problem with the usual fingering, so working on a weakness is always good. :cool:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I read the problem not so much as one of finger dexterity, but rather of ease of slotting. Alternate fingerings get my thumbs up every time when ANYTHING can ease the slotting, as it downloads work load on the lip, leaving them supple and ready to take on a flurry of passages that await in the bars that remain.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would also go out on a limb to say there is nothing wrong with using alternate fingerings, particularly my right limb, that is the side that my playing fingers would be. I am a playing fool alternatively speaking.

10. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    If we were taught "3" for A's and E's from the beginning, then wouldn't "1&2" be an alternate fingering? Problem fixed. :-o