Alternate Fingerings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Mar 8, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting website, tobylou8. Thank you!
    Jim

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter has to have it all! Don't just practice the "easier" ways, master them all! The down side is when you don't have choices!

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    When playing in key of C, A and Eb are the most out of tune note on a 'perfectly' tuned (equal-tempered) piano. A is 15.64 cents sharp relative to the pitch the ear wants to hear. Eb is 15.64 cents flat for similar reasons.

A is fairly remote from the tonal centre of C, so there are a number of ways it can be heard. The most important are the 5th harmonic of F (where it defines the relative minor with a 5:3 frequency ratio) and the 9th harmonic of G (where it defines the dominant 9th chord at the more distant 27:16). Most of the time A occurs in subdominant or relative minor contexts. On the odd occasion it's functioning as a dominant 9th, it's actually 5.87 cents flat. There are other rarer, uses.

Now trumpets.

I'm not sure exactly how designers cope with tuning 'A' but let's assume our Cs line up, 3rd slide is set to an equal-tempered minor 3rd and the 1-2 combination is a tad sharper than that. I see a very strong case for playing most As (the subdominant/minor mode A's) with a tweaked 3rd valve, and saving 1-2 for the dominant chords.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Found that to be true purely by accident.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Get's quite complicated when you go further away from C. I always thought it ironic that in orchestra we tune to what may well be the least appropriate note on the oboe (concert A) for getting the cat-gut section in tune for more than a few remote keys.