alternate to carnival of venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by clhsbandgeek, Aug 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. clhsbandgeek

clhsbandgeek New Friend

Aug 27, 2008
    Ft. Myers Florida
    Hey im your average maturing trumpet player at the carnival of venice level, but everyone plays that song..... any alternative that is that difficult or more that i can play?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The debutante (clarke) or any of the other in the back of the arban are what come to mind immediately
    But i'm sure people have other ideas

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    There's lots...

Bagmangood makes agreat suggestion, the back of the Arban tutor has some great stuff in it...what's there varies from edition to edition. Usually the themes are easy and lyrical and you can play the variations that you're capable of. My favourite is Fantasie Brilliante.

Dave Hickman has a great list of good old cornet solos from Clarke, Levy etc that follow a similar theme and variation pattern as the Arban's solos and make for great playing (and listening). Try Bride of the Waves and Under the Southern Cross.

Regards,

Trevor

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Reality check!
    The "average" maturing player is NOT playing the Arbans Carnival of Venice, or if they are trying, there are extreme deficits musically and technically speaking. If a player really has this piece down cold, they will have a hard time finding something similar that is equally challenging. If you are at 80% and think that is enough, the solos at the back of the Clarke book (Debutante, Sounds of the Hudson........ )are a bit easier.

Other challenging solo repertory without going over the top:
    Bozza Caprice
    Frackenpohl 3 Statements
    Cavadini Sonatine Op.17
    Vizzutti Cascades
    Henderson Variation Movements
    Ketting Intrade

I am not doubting YOUR abilities because I don't know you. I haven't heard the Arban played very often in a way that knocked my socks off, but come to think of it, that goes for the Haydn too! Maybe I am just not exposed to enough average players.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Robin, I think you are, mostly we write better than we play though. :roll:

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Del Staigers Carnival de Venice is good, but a really nice solo is Napoli! I have a recording of Jimmy Shepherd playing this on cornet and it is absolutely delightful.

7. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
  8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I like 4 others from the back of the arban Variation on a Tyrolian theme, Air Varie on the Little Swiss Boy, Fantasie Brilliante and the Norma Variations.

9. TrumpetDude70

TrumpetDude70 New Friend

Cleopatra is a cracking air/variations cornet solo, our principle cornet is working on it for next summer, and makes a change from the Arban stuff.

You could also try Moto Perpetuo as Wynton Marsalis did on Carnaval, that should be a challenge!!

I agree with Blooming untidy Musician above, Jim Shepherd playing anything is delightful.... I have a recording of him playing the Tyrollean from the back of the Arban, just incredible....

10. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    check out Slavische Fantasie by carl hohne great piece, not too difficult till the end, and lots of musical choices available to show your personality