alternating flugel and trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fels, Jun 6, 2010.

1. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Does anyone have embochure issues when alternating trumpet with flugel.

I have practicing both for about three weeks and find some strange things going with my pitch and sound quality on trumpet.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    So strange that you don't want to share them with anyone?

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're going to be using both, then I suggest that you keep playing both. Your chops will get used to it eventually.

Guys like Nick Drozdoff use MANY different mouthepieces and horns in their daily practice routine, so just switching between Bb and flugel should be fine.

For me the difference between flugel and Bb trumpet is no longer an issue since I play both so much.

When I play piccolo however there is a bit of "adjustment" period since I rarely need it.

4. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    not that dont want to share the issues - just difficult to explain -

tone falls out -- start as a nice full tone in all registers - suddenly feel more resistance and tone falls out - becomes thin and difficult.

Was travelling the past few days and lips could be a bit chapped.

Just cleaned trumpet to rule that out,

I tried several different mouthpieces this morning and was having the problem with all.
    Switched to a back up trumpet and had similar issues.

Went back to my usual trumpet (Strad 37) and played basics - long tones - Irons - scales - softly - that seemed to help set the embouchure a little.

Will play more soft basic stuff this evening.

Tough rehearsal scheduled for tomorrow evening - playing lead.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    From high school forward, I had been playing ALL horns from picc to Suzy and the differences in mpcs were never an issue, except when they were uncomfortable vis the notable bite on a Bach 7C (which with minimal modification mine no longer has). It was the outer edge of an Assymetric 342 that I found uncomfortable and that too was modified. Is it silly to say just a 1/16th (or less) radius removal can make a significant difference in comfort? I don't think so! A difference in tonation? Possibly on the inner rim, but not that much that the "lip" cannot balance or adjust to. My question is, given the specs, is the brain "in gear" to adapt to the change? Seriously, I don't think some beginner and advancing students have their brain "in gear" for optimum performance and instrumental musical instructors / directors are now pounding their heads against a "brick wall" of obstinence, yet knowing that optimum achievement and performance are the measure of their own job security. Gee, I wish I had the statistics of how many instrumental music education grads are now employed in jobs other than music due to such "burn out".

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I use the same rim on everything, using different cups, throats and backbores depending on the horn and--to a much lesser extent--what I'm playing. I realize a lot (probably most) people play different mouthpieces depending on horn and style--but I just found it easier to keep everything the same. Not only that, it discourages me from going on mouthpiece safaris--I'm too cheap to buy 7 mouthpieces at a time.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I like using the same rim on my trumpet and flugelhorn. So if your rims are different,that could be the problem.Also practice both everyday,but only about 15 mins. on flugel, the bulk of your time should be on trumpet.

8. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for the thread on trumpet issues when using flugelhorn. I've recently purchased my 1st flugelhorn, and find that my tone and range on the trumpet is faltering. I play a Rudy Muck 13C mouth piece on my Selmer Paris K-Modified. The Yamaha flugelhorn has a narrow rim vs the cushion rim on the Rudy Muck. It also has a deeper cup. I called Rudy Muck, and they advised my using the Rudy Muck 13C (made for Yamaha Flugelhorns) and I should be fine!

Don't want to buy mouthpieces without trying first! Can that be done?

thanks,

Ed

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    No need to worry, I alternate trumpet, flugelhorn and recently cornet

no harm done, on contrary I'm getting better and better

that also reminds me BTW, I read here once that trumpet is much easier to play than cornet, but in realiti I find it opposite. It is much easier for me to intonate, to phrase and range is two or three tones higher on cornet? how come.

sorry for hijack

10. Klaus_O

Klaus_O New Friend

Jan 8, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    tone falls out -- start as a nice full tone in all registers - suddenly feel more resistance and tone falls out - becomes thin and difficult.

I tried several different mouthpieces this morning and was having the problem with all.
    Switched to a back up trumpet and had similar issues.

Went back to my usual trumpet (Strad 37) and played basics - long tones - Irons - scales - softly - that seemed to help set the embouchure a little.

I routinely switch between Bb, C, Flugel & picc during a church service depending on the type of song and sound I would like to achieve. The switch to flugel used to be a problem. I found that the more I worked on it (almost equal time with Bb Trumpet), the worse I got when I switched back. The flugel is such an easy blowing free instrument that it is very easy to spend too much time on it. The result I found was lack of embouchure focus because less compression is required. Your point about the tone faltering after the switch back to trumpet and subsequent improvement after practicing the trumpet leads me to believe this is what is happening in your situation. I believe Chase Sanborn is Brass Tactics book referred to it as flugel chops.

I found spending the bulk of my practice on my Bb or C with 15-20 minutes out of 60 minutes on the flugel was ample. The adaptation to the switch was refined in about two months time for me.

Interestingly, this practice method did not work on the picc for me. I spoke to James Thompson (Montreal/Atlanta Symphony) when he came through town for a masterclass. He suggested practice the Bb for an hour, stop rest for an hour and start your next practice sessioin soley on the picc. That worked for me. Go figger.

Of course there are the other factors in the choice of equipment such as your mouthpiece selection to balance out your response for the different resistance in the horns. My Bb, C and Flugel have same diameter and rim but different cup depths, backbores etc to compensate. The Picc is a smaller diameter but deep cup. You will have to find what works best for you.

The switching has to be practiced but perhaps the amount of practice on each horn may have to change. Patience & balance...it will happen.