Alternating pic and Bb/C in a recital

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Sep 27, 2004.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello everyone.

I know most people probably use a different mp for their pic work, but what I need top know is this:

How do you alternate bewtween pic and Bb or C within a recital. I've tried this in a practice room; that is, played on a pic and then tried to play my Bb trumpet piece. The mouthpieces are soooo different and I find it difficult to play with my normal mp (GR 67MX) after playing my pic/jazz/lead mp (GR 65Z**)

Any thoughts?

Eric S.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    We can only perform well what we practice well, use the picc, C and b flat during your fundamental practice. When you play Clarke or arban’s play an exercise on picc, then pick up and play it on C, do this for short periods of time until you can do so with out any trouble then approach the situation again and see how it goes.

If you are sharing the recital with someone you can also go find a room during their piece and play a few exercises to get things going again.

Hope that helps,

jason

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Did you do the mouthpiece fitting with GR or did you just choose those pieces because they seemed to work well? I did the fitting for my Bb/C(65.6M) and then, months later, did it again for my picc(64P-M). I find it's really easy to swtich between the two since they both fit my face so well. Even though the rims are different the approach to the horn is different too. Also, while the rims are different the cups aren't drasticaly different. They both have some depth to them.

You might find you bottom out on the picc piece since it a whole heck of a lot smaller than your Bb piece. You can put a lot of lip in the cup on an MX and not a lot on a Z**. You may not have the best pieces right now. I had similar problems while using a Yamaha 13D4 on Bb and 14a4a on picc.

That being said. I also try to switch between instruments a lot without any warm up inbetween. It's fairly common to see me practicing surrounded by horns(Bb, C, flugel, cornet, and picc). The last thing I want is to be freaked out by picking up another instrument while doubling.

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    GR

Hi,

I just tried them out at Long & McQuade in Toronto. I liked the 67MX because of the great versatility in all registers. I also played in a military band over the summer and I heard that the 65Z** was a good lead / Military band piece. So I ordered it to try in Ottawa and then I liked that for Jazz/mil band work.

I would love to get fitted for them, but I cannot afford the trip.

Cheers
    Eric

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i have noticed that when i use the Laskey picc mpc on picc it seems easier to switch from picc to a larger horn. but I also use a laskey rim on my other mouthpiece.

not sure if tha thelps you or not but you might want to look into it, and it cost alot less $ than GR