Alternative instrument on "off" days...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have a plan:

MS sometimes wreaks havoc on my ability to finger a trumpet (or another passion, fingerstyle acoustic guitar) with my right hand. I get TERRIBLY frustrated.
    I play (French) horn, so that works well enough. My right hand just has to reside inside the bell.
    BUT! I have my eye on yet ANOTHER instrument I'd love to play: A DIDGERIDOO!

Spotted this one:

shopgoodwill.com - #18623717 - Bamboo Didgerigoo - 11/4/2014 6:08:00 PM

I wonder how much dried slobber is down in this thing? I mean, they DID call it a "DIDGERIGOO..."

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Have a tech install a finger ring on the bell so you can play trumpet left handed.

That bamboo didge will crack if you don't keep it properly humidified. Mine cracked the first day I got it. My PVC didges are indestructible. If you want authentic, you will have to get eucalyptus.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I watched this vid after posting. I don't think I can ever approach this duo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBGZoBYaLY

About a left-handed hold..
    I play horn AND flugel, so immediately I figured I'd just use my left hand and reach over the bell tube like on a flugel..tried it..it seemed incredibly awkward. Surprised me. It's because my mind is now hardwired to visualize the fingering while my hand is inclined downward at about a 45 degree angle (pretend you are holding a French horn and look at the angle of your left hand). I would have thought it would be no prob.
    Gave me the idea of buying a parts trumpet and removing the valve body and replumbing the thing to HAVE the valves turned to put my fingers at that angle. I could then finger without even having to think about it. Weird, huh?
    I HAVE seen trumpets reversed for just such a reason, but that would not work for my brain's wiring.

The bamboo WOULD split. I was wondering how I would clean it without ruining it immediately. PVC, eh? DO you make them?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hints of pDidge..... Oh dear, nothing is sacred..
    BTW yes they do work.
    Bamboo Didge - I would stay away.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've made some out of PVC. Upon completion, sand the outside and stain. Instructions here: The Didgeridoo - How To Make A Didgeridoo

Be careful when heating--the fumes are not healthy. For a mouthpiece I used a rubber stock tank plug that I hollowed out--beeswax can cause pimples.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    pDidge!
    Great idea.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Might I suggest a trombone? --- I started doubling on the trombone about 2 or 3 years ago and I think the trom has helped my trumpet playing by exercising face/embouchure muscles that help support my trumpet embouchure. The right hand on the slide doesn't have to be gripped very hard and perhaps the extra movement of your right arm along with music can help sooth the idea of your right hand not functioning well as the result of your MS. (You will still be using the right arm in production of music and I think will build confidence that will help you cope as the disease progresses)

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    "...Be careful when heating--the fumes are not healthy. For a mouthpiece I used a rubber stock tank plug that I hollowed out--beeswax can cause pimples..."

When asked about mouthpiece material, can safely reply "None of your beeswax."

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you, KingTrumpet!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Your welcome - the only other advice I have on trombone is to just work it into your trumpet and French horn practices a little at a time (10 minutes every other day or so for a few weeks then add time) --- In 2 or 3 months you would have no problems switching between any of the instruments at any time in your practices