Alternative instrument on "off" days...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Brass Band players usually read Treble Clef. It works OK, and for doubling it is great.

I ran into issues recently with a Low Brass Group - my Bass Clef reading sucks, and using Slide Trombone it just messed up badly. Trombone reads Concert in Bass Clef, and Bb in Treble - so can mess up badly if you think the pitch and note in your head.

I now keep all Valved instruments for Treble or Tenor Clef, and have dedicated the Slide Trombone to Bass Clef. It seems to work OK, but I also know that if someone gives me a Treble Clef part to play on Slide Trom, all my effort on re-programming my Brain will be gone in 5 minutes.

My advice is to learn Bass Clef with a Slide Trom, and not to use the trumpet positions as a starting point. Although if you just want to double in Treble Clef, then it is an easy way to learn.

I had my first Slide Trom gig about 2 weeks ago, a 3 hour Garden Party with Big Band. It is becoming comfortable to read and play Slide Trom in Bass Clef - a slow journey for me.

BTW - For the OP a Slide Trumpet may be an option??? And some fun.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    count me in on that remark --- it's a slow journey on trombone reading the Bass Clef ----- just got the winter music list for community band --- we did most last year, I have started playing trombone for Christmas tunes in the band ------ they are a bit easier than our regular music, and sometimes it's nice to abandon the trumpet section and get a different viewpoint in life over in the low brass section ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    On abandoning trumpet section for another:

I noticed early-on that there seemed to be a good bit of fun going on in the trombone section...but the wildest bunch were the percussionists. They were CRAZY. I slid early-on from lead trumpet over to the fledgling horn section for three reasons: 1. My Ambassador was bent in a classroom mishap (not my fault). 2. The school got some impressively shiny new horns. 3. Nerdiness knows no limits in the horns. It became my home...only time I thought to leave was a few years later the upperclassman lead trumpet player made a snide comment about me, I thought about switching right then to take his seat from him. Didn't. If I was smart, I would have gone for sax...ALL the woodwinds then were female. I could have spread my wings.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Being primarily a hornist in symphonies...I had to learn to read bass clef, in addition to transposing from any key to any other key, in both treble AND bass clef, AND do all the former transposing an ADDITIONAL amount for muted playing...(muting on a horn raises the pitch a half-step..unless the standing wave is started first and the hand THEN slid into a cupping form in the bell. In THAT case the pitch remains the same. Sometimes, I think it would have just been easier to play a natural horn with a boatload of crooks. (coiled tuning bits...not criminals).

Most of you already know that a horn typically is really two horns in one (switching between the two by a thumb trigger). The primary portion is the typical horn in F, then you pull the thumb trigger and the air is routed through a section of valves and slides that is shorter, converting the horn to Bb. This extends the range of the horn upwards, and provides numerous choices of alternative fingerings depending upon what task you are trying to master. It also means that the player is really transposing ON THE FLY as the music is still written in F. Remember that a double horn's range is FOUR OCTAVES and the Bb side of a double horn plays in the same key of a trumpet (though the length is FAR longer placing the instrument further up in the harmonic series where notes are closer together and more fingering choices exist. It was fun and challenging. I now have NO IDEA how I managed to deal with this in my teens and twenties...But a person CAN learn to do a LOT of things that might seem odd or difficult at first.

5. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I have HUGE problems with that. I think of the bone as a Bb instrument, (why couldn't it have been) and the slide positions just like they're on trumpet valves. And, to make things worse, I am horrible at reading ledger lines. :cry::cry::think:

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes but then THEY have to contend with your superior greatness.......(how was that for a nice compliment for you KT???)

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Oh, but don't read the lines, read those black things on the lines, and in between them..........just kidding.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    very nice Bigdub ---- I actually have been told to "go back to the trumpet section" - because you make us look bad over here in the trombone section--- and the first trumpets have told me ---- "uhm, this ain't fair, you sound great on the trumpet, and also great on the trombone" ---------

9. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
  10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    ExtraTeeth! (What's the "extra teeth" thing all about...) THAT is about the coolest thing I've ever seen! I think I'd not stick to intervals playing it, instead use the pitch shifts more subtly. Matter of fact, I can make one of these. I'd bet they'd sell like hotcakes at a festival! Thanks!