Alternative instrument on "off" days...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Nov 2, 2014.

1. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Late to the thread and marginally off topic, but what the heck. .. There was a band from Perth Western Australia a few years back who played instruments made from plastic plumbing components. Unfortunately I can find no videos of their performances. Their name. ..
    AC/PVC :D

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, the slide position charts for the T-bone refer to the bass clef. Next, the notes are G on the bottom line and alternating upward ABCDEFGA, or what I've put to students as Lady GA-GA, start at the bottom line and space as GA and end with the space and line as GA. A good tenor range will take you up into the treble clef to at least a B on the 3rd line, but many can go higher.

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    BING-BING-BING!! You have qualified for being more on topic than most posts, so congratulations! Please keep an eye open and check your mailbox regularly for your prize. ( allow 6-8 weeks for delivery, except southern hemisphere locations, which could take as long as a glacier to get there)

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I was thinking he smack on topic, too!
    Plumbing pipe instruments are perfectly viable off day devices.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    30' of 3/8 inch hose, and a funnel ----- equals a "valve-less" trumpet ----- ((or was that only 11'????)) ------ ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Equals my garden hose. So THAT'S where it went.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am Gordon Furr, and I am an instrumentholic.

"Hello Gordon Furr".

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think you have the makings of a homemade french horn, there, son.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    22' of hose and a BIG funnel...

HEY! It WOULD be fun to take 18' of 1/2" garden hose and attach a French horn bell tube on one end, and a horn mp on the other end...if you fastened the mp end to the side of the bell rim, then you could actually play it like a natural horn, and using the right hand to select the notes between the partials! Hmmmm! THAT could be an "off day" instrument! I could use my left hand in the bell to select the notes!

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I almost posted something to make myself look like an idiot.......well, just now, for this post. It wouldn't have been the first time, nor the last.......