Alternatives to Drinking Water?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miniorni, Jun 2, 2013.

1. miniorni

miniorni New Friend

May 14, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Like many others, I suffer from a dry mouth while performing.
    Thing is, I've been told by my band director to not drink water during performances because it looks bad (nothing I can do about that)
    I'm wondering if you guys have any other suggestions for overcoming this problem?
    I've heard that Maurice André would dip his fingers in lemon juice beforehand, and then lick his fingers during a performance.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It looks bad? Somebody better tell the many pros I've seen who sip water on stage that they shouldn't be doing that then. I have water on stage myself unless I'm doing a gig where we get on and off the stage frequently during the show. I assume that you use a smaller discrete bottle or glass to drink from and not a large flashy bottle which you have to tilt to the ceiling and suck hard on to drink from, and that you are keeping yourself generally well hydrated (as TJ mentions below) anyway.

Suggestions to overcome your problem:
    1. Advertise for a new band director
    2. Get the band to tell the director what they think of his opinion in this matter
    3. Less confronting would be to take your band director to one side and explain your own situation and that it is necessary for you to be able to play well

If you still have a problem, one thing which might alleviate the symptom is to chew a bit of gum while you're not playing. A fellow I knew years ago used to chew gum all the time and nobody said anything to him (well not at band).

If your dry mouth issue can be related to a physical or medical condition you might have (and there are many) you could get a note from your doctor prescribing you sips of water whenever you are in situations where you might experience a dry mouth (such as on stage). Would your band director risk your health by going against a doctor's orders?

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  3. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    A tip that was passed on by a band director years ago... open you mouth slightly and hold your tongue lightly between your teeth - it make you salivate and relieves the dryness. Works for me. It'd also be a good idea to make sure that you keep yourself adequately hydrated before the performance too - staying away from alcohol before playing can beneficial too (in more ways than one :-) )

tj

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I won't go on stage without water! I use a Camelbak, so you don't need to tip it up. And I have a bottle holder that fits on the stand, so no reaching down to the floor involved.

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    This has only recently become a problem for me, and I use a two phase approach. first I use a "dry mouth" mouth wash, and second I have a small black aluminum water bottle that fits in a cup holder and has a straw. No neon green--no Big Gulp cup--those do look tacky and unprofessional.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Licking my lovers fingers before I go out to a performance keeps me moist and highly functional.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously... On gulp will never do if you feel dry. Keep a glass of iced water with a wedge of lemon in it and sip it in between songs and rests.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You know... This rapier gut gets better and better with age... much like a fine wine (which I would not recommend taking on stage with me... Ahh the wine... not Rapier)

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Lemon water.

Really, the best cure for dry mouth is more experience performing. This is your brain freezing up in an unfamiliar situation. You need to play in front of family and friends, or on the street to get used to being exposed like that.
    I used to get dry mouth, and it went away after I became comfortable on stage. I haven't had it in years now. Also, being extremely familiar with your music helps too.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Being well hydrated before the performance helps. Kinda gross, but check the color of your urine. The lighter the better.