Alto flugel fingering chart

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tobylou8, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I play tunes from Bb Real Books Volumes I, II and III on my F Mellophonium and Eb Altonium. What key am I in when I'm playing a Bb score on my F instrument? What key am I in if I'm playing the same Bb score on my Eb instrument? I used to drive myself crazy trying to figure out this music theory puzzle when the answer was right in front of me all along: I'm playing whatever key my F or Eb instrument is in, in relationship to Concert C. The key of each piece is determined by the key of my instrument in relation to concert C. The fingerings remain the same no matter what key my three valve brass instrument is in, based on the length of its tubing, which determines the lowest open partial.

Fingerings don't change. Keys change based on the relationship of the key of any instrument to Concert C.

2. OCBrass

OCBrass New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Western KY
    I have an alto Flugelhorn in F. The fingering is exactly like a trumpet. I play the with the French horns in a community band. We use the horn in F music and my fingering is exactly what I would play on my trumpet. I love this because I don't have to transpose.