Alumni Blues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Buck with a Bach, May 6, 2011.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Did a parade with the wife's alumni band yesterday.Had a concert after that. Found out where my lip is strengthwise, not as good as I would like. today it feels like raw burger, plus chapped. Made it through first set of two, after that................BLAH!:dontknow::roll::oops:

On top of that, her picc decided to disassemble itself on stage. clarinet player next to her found the screw on the floor, thank goodness. Not stripped, I got it back in today, but will have to take it to her woodwind tech to get the spring for the first two keys set right:-(
    She had to sprint to the truck to get her flute to be able to finish the concert. After bronchitis, she was pretty winded when she got back to the stage:-(:dontknow:

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lip loss (nah NOT Lip Gloss) is a problem with we amateurs I guess.

Played a gig to support disabled kids in Indonesia on Sat night and the events co-ordinator asked that we keep it low and musical during the guests arrival and dinner - lip lasted the full 4 hours, AND allowed us to be full and free with the arrangements after the formalities - quite the opposite to a normal gig, and quite a nice surprise. :thumbsup:.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hmm,
    that means your practice time was never as much as you played on that day otherwise you would have known this before.................

I know this is obvious, but preparation occurs at many levels:

Expectations
    Endurance
    Range
    Technique
    Horn maintenance
    Body state (amount of sleep/hydration/food)

Seldom does mind over matter work. In my many years of playing, only a couple of times has playing on fumes been successful..........

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Exactly Robin, but it sometimes takes odd situations like this one to provide an awareness of what we should already know. All I can say is - back to the practice room, again.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Endurance has always been a problem for me. Believe it has something to do with my teeth, large overbite. Got through the parade fine, the concert had 15-20 numbers in it, mostly all marching band stuff. There were only two firsts, so it made it hard to spell each other. I think the director overloaded the program, to be frank.
    With my home situation, it's hard to get practice time in. when my wife's gone, my SIL naps in the afternoon due to meds and then I feel I can't play in deference to her:dontknow:
    The other first was spent by the second set as well, but she's younger by about 20+ years..........Buck:oops:

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I think I can assuredly say that most of my initial playing way back in my learning era was marching band stuff, very heavy on the Sousa, or circus stuff which, in whatever wisdom I acquired later in life, looking back seemingly were a great asset in developing my stamina and endurance. 20 songs doesn't seem much to me for a performance, especially when each averages around 5 minutes or less (Sousa's Stars and Stripes, Forever! plays in a time 3 minutes and 38 seconds). A full symphony would easily be about equal to your concert time. Yep, I was often putting 70 minutes playing on my CDs ... really 6 to ten times that playing all parts on different instruments (not all at the same time).

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Buck,
    I also have a serious overbite, but relax my lower jaw while playing which makes it drop some.

It is perhaps possible that you have some body issues. Try practicing after a >20 min. hot bath and see what happens.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What Rowuk states has great benefits. I once had an overbite as measured 3/16" but seemingly reduced to 3/32" inch by my extensive usage at the time of mouth guards in football and boxing. Too, I'll attribute a lot more to my HS band director who always kept after us to keep our trumpets / cornets level with the ground (showmanship) as tended to set my mandible (jaw) forward. Still, now under no stress or concern about my playing and finding playing just enjoyable relaxation I'm able to make any mouthpiece work albeit I have determined they do so differently. Perhaps this comes about because I was trained to play about all the brass instruments, not yet any Eb, D, C, or flugel, the flugel which I'd like to, and may yet rent one for that purpose sometime in the future. Most, relax and enjoy!