Am i any good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Sep 2, 2011.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I picked up the trumpet 2 years ago when i was out of work, just as something to do so i would not go insane with boredom. I taught myself how to read music at the same time, and with the aid of videos on youtube and a few beginner books i got hooked. Ive never had a lesson or had a teacher. I understand that there are many bad habits to pick up while learning with out a teacher, so i wonder if i'm going in the right direction?

I think im out of tune and my timing is a little loose. i had no metronome. also i have a harmon mute on just to dampet the sound, neighbors.

summer time.m4v - YouTube

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It appears you have the basics down; however, it's time to take lessons. Your choice in the use of harmonics is based on a rather simple structure. The embouchure is a little off center and may be contributing to a tone that may possible sound less pinched if it were more centered. The presentation is rather mechanical. Sing the words to the song as you play the tonal structure. This will put more passion into the line... Summmm-mer tiiiiimme,[space] and the liv' ennn is eeeeaseeyyy. [space] Fissssshhh are jum-p'innn, an the cotiiiiinn is high... This will breathe life into your phrasing.

Again, I believe you are more than ready for lessons.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for sharing the video.

The question, "Am I any good?" is a relative one. So I wonder if it really matters. A more important question is, "Am I making progress?" Hopefully you are.

I can't help but notice that you're playing out of the side of your face. And while I don't feel the mouthpiece needs to be prefectly centered on your face, yours may be off-center enough to prevent progress.

A teacher can help with the embouchure issues. And a teacher can help make sure you are making progress.

Mike

coolerdave likes this.
  4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks guys i appreciate your critique. The reason i play off center is because my two front teeth are quite larger than the rest and sit almost straight at the front of my mouth, side by side like rabbit teeth., so i got to play off centre. Believe me I've tried to straighten it up but when i do it cuts my lips from the inside and it just feels right this way and sounds better.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am sure you have a dentist in your life. Has s/he discussed braces to bring these teeth more back and in line with the rest of your denture structure? This could have significant impact on you mouth structure and could quit possibly have a major impact on your sound.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Short answer..yes you re good. Great advice given above. All I can add is to keep on hacking away and keep it fun. Have you found a community band or some other group to play with? This will teach you alot about making music in a group and amplify the fun factor. Best wishes.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1 This will really help you

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Takes courage to throw yourself on Youtube ... keep plugging away.. if you can get lessons you will advance faster... as to the question "Are you good" .... if you get coal and sticks in your stocking at Christmas time.. probaby not .... other wise :roll:

9. Victoria R

Victoria R New Friend

Jun 3, 2011
    I am so happy to join this forum.[​IMG]

coolerdave likes this.
  10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    We're glad to have you. Victoria. I'm not on here every day so I may have missed something--but why don't you wander over to the Introductions and Greetings forum and tell us a little something about yourself.