Am i any good?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Sep 2, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The "Rabbit Teeth" do not need to be a problem. I used to play off to the side because my teeth are crooked. With some decent daily routine, things tend to gravitate to the best place without "force".

As far as your playing goes, YOU need to make a decision where you want to go with it, and what that is worth. Joining a local wind band will get you some practical experience and overall improve your approach.

Intonation is always relative to who or what you are playing with. Tuning devices really do not help at all. That means find a duet buddy. You both will improve!

I also can't emphasize playing as many tunes as you can find. I recommend a Hymnbook as there are over 700 easy tunes where we can concentrate on nice sound and articulation. The verse and refrain are written out so we know if we are supposed to sound happy, sad, loud, glorious,.............

I recommend a teacher as soon as possible. Bad habits are harder to break than to learn and good habits just make life easier.

There are plenty of free metronome programs for the computer!

Good luck

2. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    The sunglasses add to the coolness factor :D

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
  4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    You sound good for 2 years into the lifetime program of trumpet playing. with 80% passion and 20% talent, you'll get there. Keep your passion and increase the technical parts. Thanks for sharing.

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Are you good? -yes you are! You are even better than some phillosophers here. Definately one of the best DIY-er I ever heard.

Your mpc position is off centre and that is good! you know why!? because you probably have bad teeth alignment and you found the sweet spot off centre. And that is good. You didnt look to other people trying to copy centered mpc position -instead you went for position that works for you -and that is good -that is excellent approach

you are musical that is obvious, and you have wonderfull trumpet with reversed leadpipe -so you know what you are doing

Now, here comes the part when I will say what you still have to do to became trully great player.

1) Acquire a copy of stamp book and do his breathing excersises daily -8 counts in, 8 counts hold, 8 counts out ..etc....
    2) Acquire a copy of Arban book. And practce those excersises daily
    3) Join the community band or marching bad

good luck

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Enjoyed it. Keep in mind that the harmon mute is a pain for must of us to play in tune. The lower and super high notes being the greatest problem. It also doesn't let one get a true picture of your tone.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Marching Bad? ROFL Let the guy march good, preferably with a decent band :roll: Not bad for a trumpet toddler :lol: Follow Rowuk's advice and you should become better than now.

8. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thank you guys for the positive feedback and the great advice, you have put a lot more wind into my sails! I started of playing old student horns, an old beat up martin troubador and then a used yamaha 2320 i struggled with them and pushed myself. Then 2 months ago i had enough money to buy a used Yamaha 6320s pro horn and it was magical to play on it, a lot easier and nicer sounding.

my teeth are a factor and playing off centre was the only way for me. I kept at it and my lips are stronger i can play up to a G on top, quite easily and sounding good.

I love the progress i have made and that is the reward for me, i am definatly going to look at some lessons when cash is flowing again.

I want to learn enough that i can improvise freely over anything! Thats my goal.

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    so I guess, you found a job afterall