Am I crazy - starting late in life

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill McCloskey, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I'm 53. I played trumpet when I was a kid and picked it up again when I was in my 20's. But eventually I put it down in favor of guitar. I've been playing guitar for 35 years and I also play dobro, but lately, mainly due to my love of jazz, I've been thinking about picking up the trumpet again after all these years. Am I crazy to even think about it at my age and if I do decide to move forward, what is a decent trumpet to get?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Bill, I played and studied for 4 years twenty-five years ago, and I resumed practicing a bit over a year ago. Now I practice everyday and playin the community band.

I rented a trumpet for a month before I bought one.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/

There's a link that got me thinking in all the right directions as far what I looked for when I bought a trumpet.

All the Best,

Richard Oliver

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I once had a student who came back to the trumpet at age 55. We started at square one, but I have a nice memory of him playing the trumpet well enough to do 1st mov't of Hummel on a recital! The guy loved to play trumpet!
    Roy Griffin

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I started 10 years ago... at age 50. It's never too late.

5. johnnyjazz

johnnyjazz New Friend

Mar 21, 2006
    Upstate New York
    I played trumpet in high school through two years of college and then stopped. I started playing again 14 months ago. I practice 2-3 hours a day, I have a great teacher and I play in two community bands. The year I stopped playing was 1960. If I can do it with that long a break, I believe anyone with some desire can do it.
    Best of luck.
    John

6. zackamabufoo

zackamabufoo New Friend

Feb 9, 2004
    I don't think it matters what age you are as long as you just keep on practicing and practicing to get better!

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Welcome back to trumpetland! To start out consider picking up a slightly used Yamaha student or intermediate trumpet. They play well and are relatively inexpensive. If you decide to stick with it you might want to get a more professional trumpet after a year or so but, while your sticking your toe in the water, that's a good way to start out. Ask around to find out who the good teachers are in your area and at least take a few lessons to get some direction. Good luck and have fun with it.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well Bill there's a lot of us out here....

I played into my late teens and put it down for 20 years and picked it back up a couple of years ago. It is indeed; never too late!

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  10. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm about to receive Medicare even though I live in the body and mind of a wiser 20 year old. Trumpet was my first love. I played until Junior H.S. with great promise. Then I got side-tracked doing other things the rest of my life; playing the horn intermitantly. I got back into it a few years ago. I play in a Klezmer band (yes, even Italians like Klezmer), and a group of Jazz wanna-bees. My spirit has sored since I'm back to my first love, and it's the beggining of time for me! Get your hands on any horn, and play. You'll find out fast what's working for you or not. Follow the advice of the guys on TM, their great brothers of the "brass".....................tom/crowmadic