Am I crazy - starting late in life

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill McCloskey, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  2. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    Finding good recordings is not my problem. :)

Thanks everyone for their encouragement.

3. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    Well I did it. I went to 48th street in Manhattan and rented a trumpet for the month.

Came home. It felt incredibly natural to grab it again. I put mouth to mouth piece and....

nothing came out!

A few more attempts and still nothing. Finally I was able to get a wild note out of it. Took a rest. Came back. Was able to get three notes out. And then nothing again.

And somehow I thought it was just going to flow out using the "Think Method". :)

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome back! At three notes a day, you'll have more than anybody in less than a year!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A whole LOT less than a year!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bill,
    you are absolutely nuts. The chance of this working is about a million to one (1,000,000 probable to 1 not probable). With odds like that, you'd be nuts NOT to keep going. Maybe a trumpet from 47th street would play better........

Go easy on yourself. Take that BIG breath and play long tones on the first three that you get. More will come soon enough!

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Way to go Bill!

You'll be playing sooner then you think trust me!

I'd have to echo Mike's comments too! A good teacher will launch you a good distance in very short order; I know mine sure did!

8. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I too have just got back at it and have been working seriously at it since Aug 06 after 30+ years wandering in the wilderness. I am enjoying it more in my 50's than I did in my teens. I found a young pro who has taken me quite aways in a short time, turned me onto jazz and piano as well. Go forth and enjoy.

I was using a Yamaha student model and it was fine but a bandmaster in one of my community bands recently made me the gift of an old Schilke B5 and I can't believe how well this horn plays.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's never too late to come back to it, but remember, the trumpet is a jealous mistress and it can get frustrating very quickly if you don't give it the time it demands to get things going again.

As for a decent trumpet to get that won't break the bank, it's kind of hard to go wrong with a decent used Olds Ambassador, and King made a couple of student model horns that played very well too. Used Getzen student models would also be high on my list of choices.

Just make sure that it's in good repair, you have a decent middle of the road mouthpiece and then get to work! :)

Good luck with it!

10. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    yes, you are crazy............crazy cool!