Am I crazy - starting late in life

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bill McCloskey, Apr 22, 2007.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    You're not crazy. I've taught a couple of comeback players, and it has gone well. If you're patient and enjoy the process and have an ensemble to play in it can be really great. What I told one 52 year old who was worried that it would take five years before he got good was that the five years was going to pass anyway whether he played trumpet or not. I'm teaching a 48 year old dentist now how to improvise on trumpet and he's done really well after a year and a half. He'll be playing on a recital in a month or so.

Michael McLaughlin

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I'm turning 50 in a couple weeks. I started (and I mean STARTED, not a come-back) 3 years ago. Time with my horn has become the most precious part of my day. I'm so glad I jumped in when I did.

3. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    Progress report.

Basically gave up after the first few days. Nothing was coming out. Then a couple of notes, but I couldn't get one satisfying sound out of it. Decided to return the horn at the end of the month. But I left it out and every couple of days I'd blow a little. In the last couple of days was able to get notes out each time. And today, I found a lot more notes, lower notes, and I was sort of getting some control. I was not pressing so much and learned it worked better when I relaxed. Thinking of renting another month.

4. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bill,

Don't give up. This IS going to take time. Keep doing the basics every day. Just curious where are you living now(state/city).

5. Bill McCloskey

Apr 22, 2007
    I'm north of Manhattan.

6. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    It's great to see you are sticking with it. Sometimes it's too easy to remember what I wasable to do once and expect to do it again right away! My over 40's soccer career didn't go too well because I made that mistake! It's amazing how physio has developed over the years.

My frustrations really turned into productive work when I got a knowledgable and enthusistic teacher. There are so many younger trumpeters starting teaching and pro careers looking for students. And I figure that they may be younger and not seemingly fully experienced, but they do bring all that their teachers and mentors taught them.

Kent

7. Bill McCloskey

Apr 22, 2007
    Teacher?

Can anyone recommend a good jazz trumpet teacher in manhattan that will take beginners?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to the crazy part! I would suggest you look for a good teacher first. Learning to play trumpet and jazz at the same time is kind of like learning to type and learning French at the same time, and saving time by learning to type in French.

Get to know the horn well, how the notes feel, what they look like, etc. The trumpet is sort of like a crazy guitar with six frets and strings tuned to C G C E G Bb C D E F F#.... A good beginning school plus some technical exercises will get you walking with confidence before you sprint into jazz alley.

Not gospel by any means, but an earnest opinion.

Have fun!