Am I doing lip slurs correctly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Aug 28, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I have read a lot about lips slurs here, but I need feedback am I doing it correctly. Thank you.

YouTube - trumpetlipslurs

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It sounds like your tongue is getting in the way. I would advise you to work on just the first slur you are doing until it is nice and clean. You can not learn this with trying to do all of the overtones. You first have to work on as simple of a lip slur as possible and with a good consistant sound and get it so it sounds effortless. Take your time and be patient.

3. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    thanks for response s.coomer

but in this wake of stratosphere craze, I have another question

Am I anywhere near the magic double C?

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    You need to play lip slurs as clearly as you can, you have a bit of a gliss up to the next note, you should make them snap straight into the next harmonic.

Errm, nope, you're nowhere near Double C. It sounds like you're using too much pressure, and not supporting with enough air. Give it a few thousand hours of lip slurs, and then you'll be there :)

5. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I agree, it sounds a bit "tight".

I know this is a controversial topic at times but some mouthpiece buzzing may help you with that.

Buzz long tones about 5 minutes before playing; listen and strive for a nice clear full buzz with minimal rushing air sound. This will help you focus your aperture.:thumbsup:

And as was already stated, range comes with time; besides double C is of dubious usefulness anyway; there's plenty of good notes below it!

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The very highest note you played was a G above high C. Most of the time you were playing from low C up to high C/D. While you're headed in the right direction (you have the right concept), you need to let the lips relax in the center more and let the air do more of the work. Keep the corners of your lips firm, center relaxed.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Work on long tones and lip slurs in the middle register for a while (quite a while) before you try that high register stuff.
    A solid foundation and tone is necessary before squeaking out the high stuff.

8. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    that is more than enough:thumbsup:

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    He didn't say 'well' though. Keep practising the middle and low registers for a clearer tone and the high stuff is just a bonus.