Am I getting lazy or do I just have too many trumpets?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by GordonH, Dec 27, 2005.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Doing the Cesar Franck symphony in D minor and its for trumpet in F.
    Its also full of accidentals and its quite high in places so I chickened out and pulled out he Schilke E3L-4 which can also play the low passages because of the fourth valve.
    Is this a common practice with this sort of part or would everyone just do it on a Bb or C?

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would do it on C myself, but havent had to play the trumpet part. (usually play cornet parts in the community orchestra when it has them) Whatever works best for you and sounds good it is good.

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Lazy??? If you have a instrument that allows you to play a part with more security and maintains the tonal characteristics needed for the piece I would call you smart, lucky, charmed, but not lazy. Use what works best for you and the orchestra.

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Tonality is the issue. A real F trumpet sounds quite different even to a Bb. Its the transposition more than the register thats the problem, hardly a note thats not got an accidental on it.

5. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I think comfort comes before timbre(within reason, of course) because if you're uncomfortable with the instrument you're playing you'll miss notes and it doesn't matter what it sounds like. An E3l-4 sounds like a great choice for a part in F(granted, I don't know the piece).